Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Howz it going?

Mental Battles are the hardest.


I find the mind is an interesting thing to deal with. About 6 months ago I had a bone density test which revealed severe osteoporosis. It came as a shock to me and to say that it hasn't messed with my head would be a lie.

After all, I'm taking some new meds every evening that reminds me about my diagnosis.

BUT

How have I let things change? 

Does my body feel any different than it did 6 months ago? No! I wake up with the same stiffness in my body parts as I did a year ago when I knew I was invincible.

I have good days and bad days just like anyone else. 

But I am letting this vision of bones cloud my vision. I don't feel any different than I did a year ago, I don't even look any different than I did a year ago [well, perhaps a few more grey hairs and age wrinkles!]. So why am I letting this mess with my head?

The bone density predicts the severity of future breaks and injuries. 

I'm not going to analyze things other than to say that I need to remind myself that I need to keep up with what I did before. Hiking, exercising, and doing what I love. 

Letting the vision of a skeleton mess with my head is not acceptable.

I'm going to climb that rock outcropping, I'm going to keep hiking and dream about camping and traveling. I'm going to greet each morning and marvel in each new day.

I'm going to take an Attitude Adjustment. 


Sometimes I use photography to express how I feel. I'm sure you may have figured that out.  Rabbit and Bear is how I expressed feelings regarding all the medical issues my husband had one particular year. I became an expert at driving to the VA's ER with him. I found it to be an interesting way to express thoughts.

And with that said.....

My Life in Lego Land

Coming to terms with Skeletal Issues....


Learning to deal with it...



And I found some of the guys busy helping with the laundry!






7 comments:

  1. Osteoporosis is no fun, I am so sorry that you have to deal with it. BUT you are taking the injections and keeping active and you will make the most of it all and do what you can do! With the help of your Lego friends and your blog friends to give you encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need encouragement don't we? That's what good friends are for. I'm trying to work out how to live with this DX and not let it rule my life. I am lucky that I am not severely ill and have good health otherwise.

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry this happened to you. I know I was gobsmacked by my diagnosis of osteopenia, not nearly as serious. I love your positive attitude. I am sorry to admit I am still holding back a little; I realized when I broke my arm that I would have had to go to a nursing home if I hadn't had someone to care for me 24 hours a day. But I am not going to let it stop me. I am just taking more time to think about something before I jump in. This getting old crap is no fun.

    I love the way you think, the ways you have found to put mind over matter and that you take us with you on your hikes. Honestly, that beacon thing you bought is genius and alleviates the concerns I would have for you. I had no idea all the magic they have to stick people back together until I need it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but I really want others to know what it is like to go through some of this. It seems to be a genetic factor and not so much something that I could have helped. I think it is one of those silent degenerative diseases that no one wants to talk about or admit they have.

      I have to think about what would happen to hubby if I am unable to help myself so I am now reviewing those possible future scenarios.

      However, I intend to live and enjoy life.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous10:22 AM

    You are doing what you need to to keep the muscles surrounding the bones strong, which will help!!! The quote is so accurate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I don't want to dwell on it, but just deal with it and not have it in the back of my mind all of the time! :)

      Delete
  4. Our mental psyche needs just as much understanding & care as our physical body does. You are handling the "cards" you've been dealt wisely. A positive outlook will serve you well.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.