Monday, April 25, 2022

Tweet Tweet ~ For the birds

 Sunrise Saturday morning from the ridge. 




I went to watch the sun come up and not really to look around for birds, but somehow this one did catch my eye. The first shots didn't turn out because there wasn't enough light, but he was still in this tree when I went back home. The morning sun just gave me enough light.


I made some coffee and put in in a thermos and thought I'd sit on a bucket in one of the pastured areas and just enjoy the sounds of the morning.

I listened to cardinals, starlings, red wing black birds and robins. One bird sat in one of the Box Elder trees in the distance. It sat for what I thought was an unusual amount of time. These were the best shots I did get of him/her. I didn't dare move closer because I didn't want to frighten it away.

It was a Brown Thrasher! I have to admit, I just figured it was a very large sparrow at first, but if one can zoom in, you can see his yellow eyes! Wow! I sure was excited.





While I was working on the goat and pony fence under the tree that had been struck by lightening, these birds started a racket above me. They kept coming back so I grabbed my camera.




What punks! I know they are wood peckers but I couldn't tell if they were Downy or Hairy. They sure were noisy.

Is this the same kind? I sure don't know. But this one is noisy too.
But they DO like this old tree!



We are still seeing bluebirds nearly every morning. My photos of them through the window absolutely stink. 

So Sunday, I thought I'd try and 'hunt' them with the camera. 

It was hard to find a spot where I could sit quietly out of the winds but still be in the area where I'd spotted them northeast of the house.








I'm learning a new skill of just sitting still and observing. This is a good time to practice this skill. No gnats or no-see-ums yet to bother me!

Since we have seen bluebirds now both female and male for about 3 to 4 weeks, I am assuming they have a nest somewhere around here.

These moments are good for me. I get to relax my brain and just 'be'.

Allow Nature
to teach you
Stillness ~
Echart Tolle



7 comments:

  1. I am glad you have bluebirds. We have them in meadows but not in our area. Sitting still is a good idea as long as it doesn't get too cold. I do that in the early summer to watch the robin's nest in our deck rafters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunrise and birdsong.... best time of day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely photos with us. I think I could use some quiet time observing nature, too. You live in such a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could always use some quiet time can't we?

      Delete
  4. You spotted some interesting birds!! Bluebirds are so photogenic. Great shots. I haven't seen any around our place for a while. I think you are right about them nesting nearby. Nothing has occupied our two bluebird boxes yet this year. Which I find odd. However, birds seem to have no problem nesting on our house beams!

    Being able to sit still, observe & listen is such an admirable skill!! I have discovered I am a wandering type of visual birder. Once trees fill out I spot a lot less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Sitting still is a difficult skill to learn! I'm learning to be more aware. My grandmother would listen and rattle off all the birds she heard without even having to look at them. She was amazing. I wish I'd paid more attention then!

      I have found several trees that might have perfect nesting cavities for the bluebirds.

      Delete
  5. You have a Bluebird! So jealous! I am happy for you! Too cold here yet to sit outside very long unless I drag out the parka! I think those Woodpeckers are Yellow Bellied Sap suckers!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.