Sunday, April 10, 2022

I got out!

The weather was nice Saturday morning, so I arranged for my neighbors to be available if hubby needed something and hurried out the door before anyone could change their minds.

I was bound and determined to find some cool birds and explore an area at KVR that led to backwater Kickapoo River ponds that take a lot more effort to get to than just walking on old 131 Trail. I wanted to see some ducks and not just the Canada Geese.

My job is 24/7, so I cherish that time when I can get off the farm and explore.


I found a mowed trail that the duck, turkey, and pheasant hunters use. It isn't marked but in the fall, the Reserve mows a path around the marshy area and near the ponds. This is a hot spot for bird hunters. I saw the trail on the Satellite map and thought it would be cool to check it out.

I was SO tickled to follow my ears to this little marshy spot and listen to the chorus of spring peepers and frogs. I sat on a log and ate my snacks.

16 seconds of Peepers!


I did some more listening and found another pond that I could get to. No Swans, no cool ducks, but a lot of Canada Geese. Overhead several Turkey Buzzards were circling.

I imagine I could never nap like this! What balance!


I found this goose laying on her nest. I am curious if the eggs will hatch. It looks like the pond level must have risen with the rainfall? Or she wasn't a very good nest builder. I didn't notice this until I got home, but the arrow points to a turtle!!!


I just did a mini happy dance.

The rest of the day was spent digging in dirt and I got an email and a text from my youngest son. I won't go into our history, but I don't hear from him very often unless he needs something. Let's leave it at that.

He wanted to come by and say hello. He had his girlfriend and her daughter who was just a year old. 

We stood on the porch and watched the sun go down while we did some much needed catching up. Oh gosh, this little girl was absolutely adorable. 

Charlie adored her too, each time she screeched or laughed he was right there. It was so fun to hold a baby and play with her!


I threatened to keep her. But her diaper needed changing and they had a long drive to get home. 

I guess I'd forgotten how fun it is to have little ones around. 

What a wonderful day. I got off the farm and had visitors.

It sure refreshed my mood so I can face next week's weather and doctor appointments.

Have a great Sunday.

5 comments:

  1. The weather felt soooo wonderful yesterday! I think when there is such a long stretch of gray/rainy/flurry/icky weather, a sunny day is extra uplifting!

    I am glad you had such a nice break exploring! Those frogs are loud. I haven't seen or heard any yet this year. I think that goose needs to find a better place for a nest.

    That is a great photo of you and the little one! Kids make everything more fun. Nice of your son to stop by and visit, plus you got to meet his GF. Perhaps there is babysitting in your future ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well my son said he and his GF are moving to Montana next month so ...
      Even if they stay where they are, they are 4 hrs away.
      It was a great fulfilling day and I look forward to more nice days after we get through this week!

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy for you! What a wonderful day! You do live in paradise and I am glad you had a chance to venture out and enjoy it. What wonderful sights. Thank you for sharing. And I agree. Those little people are just so special. You can't help but smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I enjoy this wonderful area we live in. LOL! Paradise in a lot of ways!

      Delete
  3. So glad you got out! Company!! Good for you! Nice photo of you and the small child! Hope all is well:)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.