Thursday, April 14, 2022

Wicked Wicked Winds!

Ever try stapling hay down to feed equine? Gusts were said to be something like 45 mph!

Dang! 

The winds were incredible today and happened just to come the right way down through the hollow. The pines did the Hula, and the Locust trees whirled like dervishes.

I swear, it sounded as though we had a freight train running overhead.

Lil Richard is indoors as his pen had no place for him to get out of the wind. He is my only equine that doesn't mind being penned indoors. I put out a fresh pile of shavings for him to spread out.

Funny pony! He deposits his manure directly on the pile of shavings and beds down in the dry dirt. 


We noted that Fred [37 yrs old] is losing condition. Poor fella, his teeth are pretty much gone [molars and premolars]. We feed him Senior Feed pellets and he still acts as if he were just a teenager. He chases the gals around and herds them when he decides their hay pile should be HIS!

Fred and Hubby 2005
Wildcat Mtn State Park


I sure would love to ride there or Duck Egg again. 
That is if I could get a truck and trailer! 

So today after checking the fences and dodging blowing branches, I settled in for the day.

I did some research on a tow behind brush mower for the 4 wheeler. I think using the scythe might be a bit much for me this summer. I would still love a UTV but I'm still working on that. It also depends on what my Bird Bone meds may cost me for the next year or so.

After reading about all my horse friends riding adventures, I get the yank to get back out and ride. I really do miss it. Worst thing now is, I have no truck to pull a trailer. 

Oh, and I completely stink at pulling anything larger than a two horse trailer. I can't really get away for a nice trail ride. I have to settle for riding around here. 


Enough of that.

I had my afternoon tea with Mr. Charlie on my lap. The howling winds didn't seem to bother him a bit!



Tomorrow is Good Friday. Have a wonderful one.

Maybe Charlie and I can get outside tomorrow and inspect pastures and take a walk!




4 comments:

  1. Poor Fred...old age sucks! Yes the winds were wicked here for a few days too. Look out for branches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have those winds today too. Our school aged grandkids were out of school and we walked to an ice cream stand. The wind took their words away and all I saw was their mouths moving while my hair stung when it whipped in my face. Luckily none of the kids blew away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wanted to ask about your mules. I was watching you tube videos and how mules come running and calling when their owners call them. They almost behave like big dogs rather than horses. It is very endearing. Do yours behave in such a way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones I raised do, the old mule won't unless he believes I have his Senior Feed in hand.
      My girls will follow me all around. My farrier was impressed the day I hollered out "Hey Mules!" and they all came running from the back pasture.
      They are loving creatures. Thanks for asking.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.