Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Bite-y dogs and KVR Trail Challenge

 Charlie and I at the Trail marker for Big Valley Trail head on Big Valley Road.

Courtesy of Bill L.




My hiking pal...Mr. Bill texted me with a weather report for this coming week. He asked if we could find a time on Monday for our weekly hike since the rest of the week would definitely not be good for adventures.

So I made arrangements to grocery-get at 7AM, handled hubby's virtual doctor appointment, set up his lunch and off we went.

It was a point to point hike. I parked at the Bridge 10 lot and he parked his truck on the gravel road access to Big Valley. We saw two ladies with a little dog on a leash ahead of us. From April 15th through July 15th all dogs have to be leashed otherwise there is no leash requirement. Charlie was wearing his electric collar as usual and I carried his leash.

Here's Bill inspecting some of the clean up on the trail after this winter's straight winds.




In the summer, this trail is heavily shaded by oaks, maples, and pines. We were able to see some incredible rock formations along the way. I didn't get photos of them. 

Remember the little dog? Well, the ladies let him off leash and when I saw them coming I reached down to hook up Charlie. Next thing I know there was a blur of the little wire haired terrier running right up to Charlie. They sniffed and immediately the other dog bit Charlie.

Charlie squealed bloody murder and the little shit tried to bite Charlie's butt as he scooted between my legs.

Mr. Bill pushed the little shit away with his boot while I scooped Charlie up. I didn't get bit, but the dog kept jumping on me trying to get at Charlie.

The two ladies walked up and one said as she passed us: "He likes humans but he really dislikes other dogs." She kept walking and the dog left with them.

Mr. Bill and I looked at each other: Dumbstruck.

So quick. I never saw it coming. So much for my pepper spray idea, right?

Really? Not even a 'Sorry, is your dog alright?' 

Charlie recovered quickly, obviously not very distressed and probably none the worse for wear. We humans were much more upset.

We enjoyed the amazing scenery and the rock formations that are generally hidden by leaves and underbrush. Both of us discussed climbing up to explore the rock shelters, but we had a time frame to adhere to. Bill had to be home when his grands get off the school bus and I have my own schedule to keep.



And you know it...guess who joined us?



He enjoys Squatching along just like anyone else!


Nearing the end of the trail.


We parted our ways and I set Charlie in his crate. He turned around 3 times and then fell promptly asleep.


Trail section #49 can be marked off. Onward!
Here's to no more bite-y dogs. I'll just pick him up if I spot another dog.

Most other dog owners are super polite and ask if it is okay for their dog to approach yours. I won't let one bad dog owner ruin it for us.


7 comments:

  1. That is absolutely awful behavior on the part of the other dog owner. Laws are there for a reason and there is no excuse for that dog to be off leash and therefore not under her control. She admitted her dog is untrained and borders on being a vicious dog. Thank GOODNESS Charlie was only sustained minor injury. That dog could have seriously injured another dog, a child or an adult. I would be so livid. I am so livid on your behalf. I am glad you were able to enjoy some of your hike. People like that make me so angry. You are taking the high road, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs can be off leash right now. But must be leashed April 15th to June 15th. This area is wonderful for those pheasant hunters and duck hunters. However a bad dog is a bad dog and I agree, it should not be running loose.

      I have to hand it to Charlie, he only screeched and then let it go when the dog left. He had two bad encounters with other large dogs but seems to just be his normal sweet self.

      We did enjoy the hike but learned that too many other folks don't have manners or respect for others ... which on this Reserve is very rare.

      Thanks. I feel almost like I should have been more aware also.

      Delete
    2. Note...his bad encounters were a couple of years ago and in other parks.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad Charlie is okay. Idiots knowing their dog doesn't like other dogs and then they let it run free. We were in a similar situation one time at a motel in Wisconsin, had Chance on a leash and two big dogs came running and attacked him, Gene picked Chance up and got bit...we should have called the Police. Next time they could have gotten a little dog and killed it.
    I am glad you got out for a hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I didn't pick up Charlie at first because the other dog was right on his nose and dogs are much faster than humans in reacting. Most of the time they just sniff and play. No warning at all!

      Charlie is okay and our hike ended up being quite nice, so it was a good day.

      Delete
  3. Shame on those dog owners! Glad Charlie is okay and no one got hurt.

    Monday was a great day for a hike! Nice that you explored and got another section of challenge done. These KVR trails look a lot like our woods do right now. The nice thing is you can see through the trees and up in between the branches.

    Elf on a shelf hasn't got anything on lil' Squatch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squatch is easier to carry in my pocket!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.