Saturday, April 02, 2022

Toy Photography experiments


I thought I'd try something different by converting a computer screen  into a green screen. I took a fractal and replaced the green with it.


It was fun so I thought I'd try making a backround to put on the laptop screen and then use that as a backdrop. Yes, that is an Alien figurine. 

I wanted to make it look like it was in a spaced out environment. 


Here is what the next shot looked like. The Alien is facing the window so I can get highlights on his front. His foot is on a stand so he can hold that position on my keyboard.


And then the final edit. I had to crop out part of his foot and the bottom of the computer screen. I'm learning as I go, so I could do better.

This was a fun exercise. I wanted it to be dark and scary. I'll have to do some work to figure out another way to either include his feet or just shoot his upper body.


I got these ideas from a 'how to' site from Toy Shooter: How to use your monitor for backround lighting. It certainly limits the size of what you use and photograph, but with some more work, I could have some fun.

This opens up a new method for me! Now I just need to figure out what I'd like to do.

Toy photography isn't exactly mainstream, but there is a certain niche for it. Lego toy photography is extremely popular!

No monitor backround here, an LED flashlight and black cloth in a very dim room. A bit of light painting.


I had to try this one. These are my mini garden gnomes that go in my Fairy Garden outside in the summer... I'm guessing the one playing the flute attracted a dragon instead of a Unicorn! I used a flashlight here too. 





The monitor backround has opened up a new way for me to experiment. I'm looking forward to that. Now my cast off Legos will have something to look forward too. 
A good activity too for one of those horrible weather days!


6 comments:

  1. Very fun shots! What a great idea! I am looking forward to more experiments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably sounds like I do nothing but play around, I assure you, I don't. But I get time where I have to be quiet while someone is napping [a lot] and in our tiny house that means finding ways to explore and challenge my imagination!

      Glad you liked them.

      Delete
  2. Interesting! I never would have thought of using a computer screen as a background/green screen. Endless options!!

    I took pics of a tv show once (of Abby, from NCIS). The photos served their purpose, but didn't look so great. Big difference in screen size etc. I think it was for a Sunday Stills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a relatively small laptop so I figure I should really just try small items like lego people, but I need to try and fail in order to try and succeed.
      I've purchased colored paper and made a softbox or lightbox out of a cardboard and white paper.
      I keep trying and exploring while stuck indoors!

      Looks like a week of rain coming! April Showers!

      Delete
  3. Fun inside work! You are so adventerous with photography:)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.