Monday, April 18, 2022

Where does it come from?

 The reason for my creativity?


I used to go with my dad to work once in a great while. He worked at a company called Leo Burnette in Chicago. When he had to go to a meeting, I'd get shuffled off to one of the artists to watch them draw. Often the artists would hand me paper and let me draw with them. 
I met one fellow who worked on the Disney Film 101 Dalmatians. He was fun and we spent a lot of time doodling.

Another time I was able to sit with a photographer who worked on the Marlboro campaign and sort through the photos with him. I was amazed at their beauty and of course fell in love with photography.

Here is a link that WTTW of Chicago did regarding Starkist Tuna. 
Perhaps this is where I got my crazy creative mind that never turns off.

How do you get a story out of a can of Tuna? My dad was always creating, taking photos and writing. It is 3 minutes long.

Thanks Dad.



And now you know why my Jack Russell was named Morris the Cat & Charlie? Charlie the Tuna.
Sorry Charlie...I always wanted to say that to a pet!

9 comments:

  1. Fascinating! Loved watching the Charlie Tuna video. How cool you were able to spend time with such creative characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative in your own right! What fun for you as a child to be introduced to art and artists! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool. What fun childhood memories. And thanks for the link to the videos. I watched Charlie the Tuna and started another hour long episode. I have bookmarked the page and I hope to go back and watch the whole series in the evenings when the grandkids aren't here. I love PBS and this is regional programing we don't have access to see. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice clip. Those are some very famous marketing icons & campaigns! I vaguely remember hearing about Leo Burnett in college. Your dad is Don? Must have been a fun creative challenge working their. Awesome that you got to experience it too. No doubt you got your creative talents from your father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops, sorry, my Dad was Tom Rogers.
      As kids we heard all about the characters that they developed and Dad announced our first airplane ever on a United Airlines commercial to us. He made us sit down and watch a Sunday evening program.

      We had all the Charlie the Tuna stuff too. I still have a lamp and a beach towel. LOL.

      Delete
    2. I couldn't tell & had a 50/50 chance of getting your dads name correct ;)

      Delete
    3. Sorry, I should have said here is a link to an old blog you may find interesting:
      https://mulewings.blogspot.com/2006/08/sorry-charlie.html

      Delete
  5. I remember both Morris and Charlie. Funny how things influence children. I don't know where I got my art gene, but if I had to guess, I would say it was from Dad. He was always folding paper and drawing stuff. I sat for hours watching him carve a ram's head. He was also the person who tried desperately to talk me out of being an artist. It didn't work, apparently. Sorry Charlie.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.