Friday, December 31, 2021

Totally Unexpected

 


I was having a very hard morning. The end of the year blehs. The things I couldn't to do because I am the sole caregiver to a person with frail health were weighing on me. Maybe it was just the culmination of so much sameness in the past year. Or...perhaps even deeper yet was the question I'd asked myself the night before.

 ~ Who am I?~  [Deep thought is not for the faint hearted in the middle of the night!]


Today I asked Rich if he'd mind if I hike the Valley of Ice. That is what some folks call it. I hadn't really explored it yet. 
I set off. The day was dreary. Dreary.
It fit my mood.

I hiked the trail and noted fresh human and dog tracks. 

I started exploring and found my way to the first ice cave. I wondered if the tracks weren't from someone who had tied the blue ribbons up. But as I climbed around a snowy hillside and over downed trees, I heard a woof. And a "Hello there!"

I met a younger than ME fellow. He used to be a Geology teacher in Madison. Eventually we ended up in a larger Ice Cave where we sat down and talked about rocks and rock formations. He told me about his dog, who doesn't love talking about their loyal pets? He explained to me the history and make up of the  different layers in the rock that were were sitting in.


There was an area at the bottom of the ice where other older icicles had formed and dropped because of warm weather.




And as we admired the rock formations and the ice, I set up my camera to take a quick time lapse of the water seepage over the ice. The video is at the top of the blog and is 12 seconds long. I shot that just in front of where he was sitting.

I enjoyed his conversation and it was pretty fascinating. He explained the geology of this place in a way I could grasp it. Although, truth be told, I won't recall all the terminology he used.

We both joked about liking Lichen. He knew Lichen too! He didn't mind me taking his photo while he sat in the cave just enjoying nature. He said it would provide good perspective for the cave. He was right.

He is exploring all the Wisconsin State Natural areas and noting their specific and interesting formations his intent is to map them out so others can enjoy their natural beauty.

Eventually we parted and I went on to explore more of this valley. It is steep and rugged. 

I found the third formation.


There is a 4th but I didn't have enough time to climb around the deadfalls  to take any photos. I found an old equine trail and followed that on the ridge while stopping to peer down on the Kickapoo River.

By the time I reached my Subaru, I was the only vehicle around. My phone went off with weather alerts for our area. 
Just in time then.

By the time I got home, I was UN-bleh. I'd met another nature lover and interesting person.

I still hadn't answered that nagging question from the middle of the night.

But I figured I'd get to that ... next year.






7 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:05 AM

    Beautiful pictures. Nature does wonders for chasing the dreariness away. :) I understand that 'who am I' question in the middle of the night, and I am sorry that you are dealing with it. It's made even harder by the forced sameness of each day but you are good at recognizing your self care needs and then acting on them - good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to recognize that I need to be in Nature to feel whole and to have my mind distracted from the everyday stuff.
      Thank you friend!

      Delete
  2. It was a fun hike. I wish you a very Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how draining it can be and I have support in the house! You met an interesting fellow! The video was way cool:) Happy New Year to you and Rich! One day at a time my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one day at a time. Thanks. We hope to hook up again and hike some other places together. That seems to be the way I end up meeting people!

      Delete
  4. What a great new friend! Kind of magical how he appeared at the right time and place. I have meant some great retired teachers and love it when they share their special knowledge. I think I would have liked to have some of them when I was in school. You live in such a marvelous place. I am glad that nature rests your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nature is restful to the soul because it contains the Love that created it, and we can feel that Love.
    Very cool to meet up with someone who shares your interests and just when you needed something to de-blah you :o)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.