Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Winter Solstice Sunrise

I like winter and I like marking special dates and times by going out and observing them. This spring for example, I climbed a bluff to watch the moon's partial eclipse on May 27th.

I watched the sun's partial eclipse too on June 11th.

It stands to reason that I'd get excited about a clear sky and the Winter Solstice. There were posts in our area FB group about folks getting together for a bonfire and celebration to watch the sun go down.

I wanted to see it come UP. I just love mornings. I like getting out there while it is still dark and watching the day awaken. 

I decided I'd walk to the ridge in the morning if the skies were clear enough.

~~~~

I set my coffee cup down and grabbed a spare battery and the tripod. I thought it would be fun to go to that favorite little tree on the ridge and see if I couldn't shoot myself watching the sunrise. I'm not very good at this yet. 


One option I can use on these newer cameras is the ability to operate it from my cell phone. Easier than trying to pair a camera and a phone while it is 12 degrees F outside, is using the delayed timer option. Another feature I discovered on my nicer Olympus is a time lapse feature. 

Oh now that is very cool. I used it the night before the huge storms struck the Midwest. 50 photos were shot to make a 7 second time lapse. 

When I got to the ridge I tried taking a few shots here and there to figure out where I should 'be'. I even tried a short time lapse which was an utter failure.

Here is a shot from the failure where it looks like the camera is about to be attacked by a Sasquatch which actually is me in my insulated coveralls, cap, hoody, scarf, and mittens. I was scurrying back to the camera in the low light and became a blurry monster.


I'm not one to be discouraged so I set everything up again and tried a new location. This one is a 5 second time lapse. I don't recall how many frames it took only that I was excited that at the very last second, the sun peeked over the horizon. And that was good enough for me.


I was going to try another quick time lapse but my fingers were burning from the cold. I'd had to exchange out the battery as the cold and my other antics had used up the one that was only partially charged.

All in all I was happy with my experiment.


I'd gotten close enough to being on the horizon to have most of me in the shot even if I still looked like a hulking monster of some sort. I got part of the tree I really like too. These little trees are on a tiny strip of land that divides two crop fields. 

Here the land is not even, it rises and falls so getting that perfect shot of a solo tree is generally quite difficult. Well, actually it is impossible unless the landscape were to change and I were to maintain that 10 foot section with a weed whacker. 

Still, it is a nice little tree and it often appears in my winter sunrise photos.


Adding the human element sometimes adds perspective to the shot, I find it quite funny for it to be myself wrapped up in winter clothes. But I'm game. I'd like to try it again!

And there it is...Winter Solstice Sunrise...


I may have to try this again if we get another clear morning. The next few days are supposed to be warmer but I am not sure how much cloud cover there will be.



8 comments:

  1. Your final results are wonderful. I like the mornings too but I don't stay out on the deck for very long as it is too cold. I guess I need to get coveralls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)
      Coveralls aren't for everyone, but they sure are warm and easy to put on over PJ's to walk in the cold and do chores.
      I don't mind cold weather as a kid we played in it all of the time.
      I like it better than summer bugs and humidity. But then I am odd!

      Delete
  2. We had a wonderful Moon rise last night it was big and orange! Your sunrise photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I stay in our hollow I don't see the winter sun until after 9AM! Same with the moon, it takes a couple of hours to shine down here...
      Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  3. Love your morning shots....so beautiful. Love that hulking monster too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, that looks just like Bigfoot. Ever want to try to get in the "conspiracy theories" Looks like you have photo proof.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots, the trees and colors are beautiful!! I've never gotten into shooting time lapse, but enjoy watching them. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The time lapse feature actually is a great way to set up a scene and then if you want to 'shoot' yourself walking through a scene, it captures whatever shots you set it up for.
      I used this feature today with Charlie at the ice caves above Weister Creek!
      I won't make a time lapse, but I will pick a shot or two that seems decent.
      Tis the season for the Skunk Hat!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.