Wednesday, December 01, 2021

Valley Girl

The last day of November was bright and beautiful. Cold in the morning and sunny with temperatures heading up to 45 degrees!

What better way to celebrate the end of the gun season and the end of the month but to go out to the 'Reserve' and explore old places. I packed an apple and a few snacks.

Charlie and I set off. 

I wanted to search a small valley from the river to the highway. I want to find the ice cave that Rich took me past on my very first mule ride so many years ago. 

I started at Willow Camp and off we went. I forgot to start my Mapmywalk app. The green dot is where I remembered to pause and turn it on. Below is a terrain view of the hike. What I found was rather unexpected.


View from the old campsite that was abandoned due to constant flooding. If heavy rain is predicted it isn't smart to be anywhere near the river even if it is 10 feet above the 'Poo. This location is beautiful but brutal. The river here is fed by a small stream that would become a raging Flash Flood Monster so the water flow towards the campsite would be twofold.


I wanted to see if I could follow the tiny unnamed creek towards the highway. Riding through this area years ago I just watched my mule's footsteps and gazed around in wonder. There is no longer any designated trails in this area. However I found one of the old road beds. 

Was it there because of an old farm from the 1960's? 

Was it there because the Army Core Engineers built it? 

But there was a long straight flat area that led in the direction I wanted to go.


It ran just above the unnamed creek. 



Charlie and I detoured to look at an ice pond and investigate some bright red berries. I think the berries might be Highbush Cranberries? Not sure, but they were brilliant!



The 'road' - flat area disappeared and we ended up brush busting. The valley is deep with steep hillsides and rock formations on each side.


I found the highway and climbed up the hillside to see the ancient sign that faced the road.

This sign was from the early 1990's.  Young guys with huge monster trucks would come in and tear things up. The signs went up after a group came in with chain saws and cut trees down so they could drive down to the Kickapoo and mud bog.

Rich and I joined a group of loosely organized equine riders that went in and repaired the damage carrying all of our supplies of seed, bales of straw, and rakes on our animals. This was all before the Reserve became the Reserve.


We found the place where the creek met the highway.




I looked on the northside of the creek and found and old yellow marker. I can't recall if it was a property marker or what. 



The valley to the north was where I'd first been introduced to an ice cave. I mentally marked this area for exploration on my next hike.

We decided to find an old trail and remain on the south side of the Valley.

Charlie finds an old equine trail --- he is good at that!


I headed up the old equine trail which we lost often but generally located again. It ran aimlessly above the 'old' road.


Eventually I found an old homestead. Charlie and I took a break there and wondered what happened. 

Did they sell their farm, or were they one of the unlucky ones who had it condemned?

All that was left was their junk yard.


We found a point to look out from and down on where we had started our little journey.


We climbed back down and headed up old 131.


Charlie and I, The Valley Explorers. 







11 comments:

  1. Junk yard pic reminds me of those places teenagers go to drink beer while underage. Or the drunks go so they can binge and no one will bother them. This one guy told us of his Super Secret "Old-Timer's" hunting spot that no one knew about. When we got there, it was littered with piles of beer cans. One of the guys in our party joked, "This is what the "Old Timer's were doing? Doesn't look like they were hunting much."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice hike! That must have been a well used road back in the day, looks like compacted soil that takes forever to grow trees again. The old junk yard would be interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes sense that there was a farm junk pile there. The site of where the farm should have been looks down on Star Valley where the school was. The flat area would have been a dead end road that came from the original highway which is now a footpath.
      The school was closed and torn down around 1962. The last farms were torn down in the early 1970's.

      What a cool place to explore.

      Delete
  3. Gosh, what a wonderful day for exploring. And what an interesting place to explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. The history behind the Reserve is a long one. Bitter in some ways for those who lost their farms. There was a dam started as a flood project and it was ended. The land ended up in limbo for years until it is was taken over by the Reserve board.

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a super awesome hike!! Love the discoveries you made! The color of the glassy river, sooo pretty. That old homestead...did you take a close/r look at what was left behind? Kinda dangerous. Not sure I could have resisted. With old plot books etc a person could probably figure out who owned it. I often wonder about our land's history. I am familiar with general KVR history, but when you see it like this it feels more prevalent. I can only imagine the divide among those affected. Sad that it is/was left like that :( Were the buckets intact? Probably not. They are cool! Must have been hard to leave such a pretty area, under any circumstance. If only the trees could talk...

    So glad you & Charlie enjoyed such great weather and interesting exploring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some old rusted stock tanks and a LOT of barbed wire, so I didn't want to really get into the pile of stuff. However...IF you wish, it is a short walk from Willow Camp to here sooooo....yeah you could look at it.

      I took a gob of IR shots too just for fun. I need to get those downloaded!

      Delete
    2. Oh, that sounds like fun! I wouldn't dig around with four paws along either. Looking forward to seeing your IR visions!

      Delete
    3. Aww thanks. Those are on a wait list right now. I need to find some rocks and play with bears.... LOL!

      Delete
  5. That was a nice adventure. Our old farm in southern Iowa had evidences of many things including Native American Indians. At one place in the stream was an abandoned very old rusted truck that had been apparently dumped there. There was no road so they must have pushed down through the woods to get rid of it. You have found a great place to explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The old farmland around here has places where the old model T's and other 1930's vehicles were pushed into ditches minus their engines. They were used to slow the run off waters in the large ravines/dry runs!

      I need to get out and see if I can find the old fords, here are the other old cars just on the other side of our fence.

      Link to Flickr:https://www.flickr.com/photos/xenas_images/51028499108/in/photolist-2kKdoYL

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.