Sunday, December 12, 2021

Snow! Snow!

How do we celebrate the first snowfall? We take snow baths! 


Sunshine sports her snow bath look.




But everyone enjoyed breakfast. Until they moved off to the forest to get out of the wind. [No animal was cold. I stick my fingers under the coating of snow, ice, and mud. Their beautiful thick winter coats are dry next to their skin.]

Charlie and I headed to the ridge to pick up yesterday's mail and see if the plows had come through. 



The plow had gone through and skiffed the snow off the road but underneath that pack was a nice layer of ice. Below, Charlie insists that we hike east on the road. I head down into the forest where we have some protection from the blowing snow/sleet.


This dog loves snow! But then we all act like kids during or right after the first snowfall.


After breakfast he ran to the door as soon as I reached for my boots. 

I was NOT going anywhere without him.



For a pint sized dog, he can be very insistent. 
Below, random shots from our first snow hike of the season. 

The Polar Bears were so excited!


In the creek, looking down to see up.


Y's of weeds. Gooseberry bushes.


The icing on the trees was incredible as was the light filtering through the forest to the creek.

I was like a child seeing a Christmas tree or wonderous decorations for the very first time. 
I oohhhed and ahhhhed. And just stood there looking at the snow and the sparkling trees above me.


I really dragged out the walk back home. I just didn't want to leave the magical woods behind.

I'm glad I did too. When I reached the summer pasture I was stunned by the amount of ice on the locust trees.


Some folks don't like winter. I do. 
I'm happy that my little dog does too.

He is a great photography assistant!



















10 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:30 AM

    Oh the wonderful fun of a first snowfall! Happy animals, happy little doggie and very happy human! :) Thank you for sharing the beauty and fun, it makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! It was fun and we spent most of the day messing around outside. Today, the little dog is tired!

      Delete
  2. He is such a sweet puppy. Animals do react to snow. I remember how our late border collie just loved to plow through the drifts with great gusto and he too loved to roll in it. You shared some great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charlie sure came to us at the best time.

      Delete
  3. I love the first snowfall. I am a much bigger fan of winter weather now that I don't have to leave the house at 7am and drive in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I used to have to drive 30 miles on twisty awful roads at all hours of the night and sometimes day to go to work. There were nights I couldn't go home because the roads were closed!
      I don't miss that at all.

      Delete
  4. You finally got some snow!! Have fun as I know you like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boo hoo, it will melt on Wednesday!

      Delete
  5. Yaay for Winter fun and photos!! I would think Charlie would get cold quickly, being so close to the ground. It sure doesn't seem to stop him from enjoying snow to the fullest, such a cutie!

    Sunshine looks content & cozie in her decorated fluffy coat :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought that he would get cold too. I don't take him on subzero days for good reason. After he has run through the creek, his chest gets ice on it. Under the ice, he is warm so I think he has a good winter coat too.
      Funny, I tried a jacket on him and he just got it so chock full of ice and snow, I never used it again.
      By yesterday, all that snow and mud was gone off from the mules and they were laying in the snow sleeping.

      The pony looks like a puffball!
      Now the snow is melting...boo hoo...

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.