Tuesday, December 28, 2021

For Art's Sake

I'll just jump right in on this. I had a lot of tangents I went on first ... then I hit the delete button and started over.


Edits for Art's Sake:

Original



Edit



This is a 'double exposure'. I didn't do it in the camera but used a plugin from DxO labs. 

Here is the entrance to the summer pasture with the brilliant red oak leaves glistening in the  late fall sun:

Original


It is pretty. But ...this is how it felt. I use a paint program to 'paint' portions of the photo. Topaz Studio, an old program from a few years ago. 

Edited



Fall offered so many opportunities. I walked once a week past a Sumac Tree as it changed. On this foggy morning I struggled to find the proper way to present this scene. 

Original


Edit


Update In 
December


I like to dabble in things. I like to 'create' sometimes. I enjoy trying new things and challenging myself.
I can't draw even though I used to draw cartoon critters as a teenager. 

Me as a Naturalist 
looking for creatures in the
creek

When I used to write for a magazine,
I also tried my hand 
at cartoons again




Once in a while I get creatively stuck. 

After the snow had melted last week, I took my Infrared camera and went for a walk along the creek. Infrared shots work best with the reflection of light off from leaves with chlorophyll in them.

Most of what I shot turned out to be trash.

I used a 550nm filter which horrifies me each time I try to do anything with it. I felt since I disliked it so much, I should try and make it work. Do something out of my comfort zone.

Original



Edit


This shot turned out so 'otherworldly' that I like it. Note to self. This filter still is very hard to work with. 


My next shot is another IR shot. No fancy camera, a point and shoot.
I rather like the challenges that October and November bring with IR.  The sky and the pond ice reflected blue when I 'channel swapped' the colors.
The pines on the other side of the pond did appear slightly different shades of white and grey.
The birds were added.


 October hike in KVR in a washout above Weister Creek.

Original


Edit


I'm not even sure why I like this one, but I do and it was fun to work with. I painted in brush strokes and then erased them from the zig zag of the wash. I guess this is really how this particular spot 'felt' to me.

The only thing more fun would have been to see a unicorn, a dinosaur, or woodland creature hanging out in the back!

The fog on Christmas Eve was fantastic. Charlie and I couldn't get enough of it. Okay, Charlie really only went out with me for the first time.

I wanted to do something different and try some High Key work.

I dig fog, I really do!

Original


Edited

The photo above was used as the base for Charlie in the double exposure in that first edit!



9 comments:

  1. Edits certainly can change the mood/feeling of photos & make them look magical. Fun to see the before and after shots. Great cartoons! You must get it from your dad. I've never been able to draw cartoons, even tho I had the best cartooning instructor ever in college. I am too much of a realist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...The guy I got to draw with a few times when my Dad was in meetings told me not to sweat the small stuff, just draw and have fun.
      I like the before and after too. What I see in my head and what comes out of the camera can be two totally different things.
      Thanks.
      Are you lovin' the snow?

      Delete
    2. Yes! Yesterday's snowfall was pretty, spread throughout the day/night. Today it sparkles ~ my favorite kind!!

      Delete
  2. Your editing skills are fantastic! I love the magic you create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spent a good many evening hours experimenting. I have watched and read tutorials but in the end I'm not good at following the rules. I just like to play. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. The Edit with the dog in the ice looks more normal. The original makes things look like the pooch is walking in a toxic waste zone. Very cool edits! I often "fool around" with filters and stuff. On the computer rather than on the camera. I always ( mostly) Go back to the original with light editing. ( color flooding and light exposure. cropping when needed)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that filter would be great for shooting a toxic waste surreal scene!
      I enjoy messing around. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. You are having inside fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creative edits- I particularly like the summer pasture and the one with the filter you hate using.
    I only do basic edits.... no talent for this kind of editing!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.