Friday, February 05, 2021

How I did it... & Snow Storm

Some of the most entertaining things I've done is take non selfie selfies. I hate getting in front of the camera, but don't mind getting my back side photographed.



For my CrossFit coach I had to work out a way to show him that I was still doing my workouts. So I devised a way of doing it.

I discovered that my Red Tough TG6 Olympus pocket camera had a similar setting on it like the Oly OMD EM5 III. There is a setting that allows the user to either connect to a smart phone...~~ hey, I'm not as Smart as my Phone ~~so I usually don't bother with that.... or use a delay setting. This delay setting lets the user pick a delay time, how many shots, and how long in between shots. 

Most of the time this is used for timed exposures and fun things like lightening storms or Astrophotography.

CrossFit Burpees in the snow...

CrossFit Box Jumps


Cooling off after the last round of Burpees


The set up is not too hard but takes a bit of experimenting.

My cheap bendy tripod.


A view of the settings chosen...10 second delay, 5 shots, one second between shots.


In my case with the sledding I set it to 10 shots with .5 seconds in between and got the shots I wanted pretty easily. It doesn't always work out that way.

One of the other reasons I picked this camera after I wore out my other pocket camera is that the TG 6 is weather sealed and can take the snow and rain. It can be submerged though I have not done that.

Today was a perfect day to have a weather proof camera as the sleet/snow/freezing fog has been absolutely wicked. The winds are picking up now and I've read that we are in for a flash freeze.



I hope everyone fairs well that is in this storm's path.




6 comments:

  1. Your cooling off shot made me laugh!! Interesting set-up. Those bendy tripods must be perfect for uneven terrain and angles. I would need more than 10 seconds to pull off an active sled shot, and still wipe out trying. My camera and lens is weather sealed/proof, but with heavy precipitation I shoot with a cheapo clear camera bag over both. Best $6 I ever spent, and I have a backup cover for when the first one shreds. After more than a decade of use, it's getting close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can set the delay on this camera to a minute. I generally have a weatherproof pocket camera for days when it is blowing and sleeting or when I want to head out in the rain.
      LOL...I have used a Vet Sleeve inverted to cover the Nikon I used to have on rainy days.

      Delete
  2. I use my old cheap camera on bad weather days. You did great capturing your selfies! Real cold here, sundogs are out :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I always had a back up until the Fugly Pink Camera died after 10 yrs. I always always...carry a pocket camera and always try to find ones that are supposed to be indestructible as I am tough on them.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous11:46 AM

    Thank you for the explanation of how you got the shots. Since I don’t have a coat like the mules I plan on staying inside as much as possible. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No reason to go out and play if you don't have to!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.