Sunday, February 14, 2021

Be Chilled My Heart

I don't do Valentine's Day. But that is okay, I don't have a grudge against it, I just don't buy into it anymore.

So everyone loves to talk about weather. -15F translates into -26C? I never understood why we don't all use the same measurements. But that is for another day.
I know others are much colder. And I looked at the forecast for us. -17 tonight and Monday? Oh bother.

I measured the temp in the shed yesterday, because it actually felt a bit colder. It wasn't but it was out of the sun so that made it feel so much colder inside.


This is how the girls spend their afternoons. I get obsessed by worrying if they are warm enough. 
Everyone gets about twice the amount of hay during this cold spell. And thankfully, no one is showing signs of cold. 


When I had a place in the flat lands of Kenosha, I had to have a run in for my horses. There was no place for the equine to get out of the wind. 

I am literally going stir crazy inside. It is too dangerous to go hiking even if I get out of the winds. I'm wearing a mask, over the glasses goggles, and a fur lined hat. The secret of keeping warm hands?

My Grandmother's hand made knit mittens with a pair of little knit gloves underneath.

Grandma's Secret Weapon
Knit Mittens



I tried the insulated gloves that are called HotShots and every other high tech glove. Nothing. works like mittens. I've even been able to open gates with them on. If I have to put a halter on someone, I do have to pull the mitten off.

Watering has become a nightmare. The hoses work well and drain from the top of the hill at the outside hydrant. In the past, when we had these cold temps, Rich would help me drain hoses after disconnecting them. With subzero temps and one person, the draining doesn't work as well.

[Yes, one time the outdoor hydrant froze up. That was once in 30+ years. A year when we had no ground cover but subzero temps for an extended period of time.]

Mittens crossed that I don't have to fill the tank until Monday afternoon? With a high of 3 degrees, I may be able to get 'er done. 

Oh and for the curious. The mailman DID show up! His huge Jeep with knobby snow/mud tires could handle just about anything thrown at him. So now that he knows where the house is, I wonder if he'll make deliveries next time. 

I spoke with him this summer at the post office and he told me he couldn't find our house. True Story.

So for those who celebrate, Happy Valentine's Day.

For me? Just a daily outdoor chore challenge and then a day of walking about this tiny cottage waiting for a chance to get out and hike.

Stir Crazy.

5 comments:

  1. Hand warmers! If I have to be outside for a long time I switch them from Mitten to mitten, I do not wear gloves of any sort cause my fingers freeze. I should probably get some goggles. I have a wonderful crochet hat that is a hat and a scarf all in one I love it...sometimes it is a two hat day...theory if my head is warm all of me is warm. I also have a full length down parka...I love it but it is so heavy! Staying warm can be a full time job! I have a pair of very old deer hind choppers and I have knit liners for them...I hate to use them all the time because they are a favorite.
    It will warm up this week. Do you walk the hose dry...as in put it over your shoulder at the disconnected end and drag it over your shoulder the full length of the hose forcing all the water out. I wonder if one of my funny hoses would work for you, they shrink and self drain and you could easily put it in a bucket and take it inside with you:) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I walk the hose dry. I have nearly 200 feet to go so I separate the hoses and drain two sections. They are construction strength hoses and are heavy and black. In the past few years that I have been doing it by myself, I've only had two freeze ups. Generally I just keep a section of hose rolled up in the basement and swap out for the frozen one.

      I have insulated coveralls. A leftover habit from the days of milking dairy cows and doing farm chores. I think you could say I double or triple my head warmth with the face mask, hoodie, and hat!
      I think I'll strip down tomorrow and sit on the porch!

      Delete
  2. Love the photo, it's got all the right "stuff" going on :) My fingers have been freezing & toes get cold. Glad you can do chores with your grandma's cozy mittens, must be so comforting in more ways than one. I just can't grip and pitch a fork with anything but gloves, wish I could. Fingers together are undeniably warmer. I have mammoth polar gloves (for ice fishing? can't remember) in my winter Alaska photog gear, worn with liners (over kill) but you can't DO anything in those gloves. They remain packed. I am however wearing my Michelan Man refrigerator coat that makes me look like I am 800 lbs, don't care I stay very warm. Goes down to my knees. Bibs are still packed, not cold enough to break those out. I will wear them if hiking/outside for extended time. The black hoses are the ones to have. Gravity works best, no easy way to drain them that I can think of. Hang in there, warmer days are coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your toes and fingers get warmed up! I think the reason I can operate a hay fork and do tiny clasps with my mittens is more likely because I grew up wearing mittens for chores. When I was a kid I can't recall anyone using gloves.
      I think Tuesday we will be nearly 12 degrees!

      Delete
    2. It is going to feel like a heatwave by the weekend!!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.