Monday, February 15, 2021

More Stuck In..side

 -18

The mules are officially out of water and today will be the high of zero, dammit.
I'll get it done though. I will carry them water this morning and put it in pans and this afternoon when the temps rise, I'll fill the large tank. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Yesterday I 'played' with the converted Full Spectrum camera. I found that I can get interesting colors that are slightly strange if I use the camera without the Infrared Spectrum filters. 

I did this photo with a 665nm Filter.


The shot below is where I took all the photos using just the light from the back door which faces north.
Behold the mess. Old antique boxes stacked with a piece of plywood and a lid to an antique box for the back stop. Paper for any textured back grounds.

My dear friend from Alabama sent me some darling little toys via Amazon. I can't wait to take them to the woods for some adventures. Charlie is perplexed with the wind up toys and will take his nose and tip them over while they are walking.

The shot below is with no filter on it. 

Okay. When converting a camera a clear filter replaces the one inside your camera that blocks IR light. A camera converted this way is also used often in Astrophotography as it picks up light differently. No, I haven't tried that yet, but I may  try it when the temperatures are much nicer outside!

The tiny fake flower in the little brown bottle is actually bright red and the colors in the paper below should be a bit more orange. If I put the 'hot' filter on the lens, the camera would see the light as any normal camera would.


Next up, my wooden toys sent to me by a childhood friend. 


The marbles in back are actually clear and the paper is black with white grunge markings on it.

Bored yet?

Infrared is considered an artsy, non traditional, and way out there type of photography. The scenes that can be shot are pretty neat. However there is a lot more work to the final product depending on how a person wants it to appear. Post processing can be hard. Everyone argues over white balances and RAW files along with how to channel swap...or not to. 
My take away is this. I consider Infrared to be a license to do odd and beautifully strange photography. 



This is a place I am comfortable with. I have so many trials and errors that I am grateful that I have a digital camera and not film.

On a good note. Tomorrow we are supposed to get UP to 12 degrees! I'm considering putting on shorts and flip flops.
Yeah.

I may even start the Subaru and go to town for some groceries. Meanwhile, stay warm and safe. 

~~~ 

Late afternoon Update: I laid out the hose on top of the snow and used the sled to transport about 50 gallons out to the tank. What a workout! 


14 comments:

  1. I have never gotten into shooting with filters, or IR. You have definitely mastered them! I love astrophotography. I don't go out shooting much at night, so still feel somewhat like a newbie. Not a fan of being in the boonies alone. Capturing sky phenomena used to be sooo unique, and like everything digital these days it is overshared. I would be interested to see how you capture the night sky with your converted camera. Wow Val, that is a workout - and in this freezing cold!! You are a good mom! Hope hauling all that water didn't aggravate your back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shooting at night around my house isn't bad as we have a pretty good sky. I have yet to venture to KVR for a night of star gazing. But I have gone there a few times before dawn and loved walking in the moonlight. It was pretty thrilling to be a tiny bit scared and a whole lot of awed.
      I think you are right about so many things being overshared.
      The water hauling made me sweat a LOT and I'm stretching this morning a LOT!
      I have yet to master stars and many types of night shots.

      IR is something I wanted to try forever and actually prefer in some ways now. It is not for everyone but it is fun and very hard.

      Delete
    2. KVR would be amazing for night sky shooting! It is about 1.5 hours away from me, so any type of night event there is unlikely for me. Can't beat stepping out your door to shoot the wonders of the world!!! I have seasonally shot the Milkyway from my deck, and of course the frequently appearing moon. Have yet to see the Northern Lights at home, but my next door neighbors have. Goals! That is about the extent of astro interest for me. Not into shooting blobs in the sky by adding star trackers, telescopes etc. Have to ask, in general what is very hard about shooting IR?? Glad your back isn't worse for the wear.

      Delete
    3. Well, IF you ever get to KVR, please let me know. I can show you around if you are inclined to. I don't have the ability to pull our trailer, but I would be happy to visit and night hike or gab about stuff. KVR is a designated dark sky area. I love to go to the ponds pre dawn or Black Hawk rock and watch the sky turn colors.
      I like showing friends the KVR!

      Delete
    4. I will get back to KVR, eventually. The last time I was there I nagged Brad into going so I could shoot a dog sled race for fun. I would absolutely love to see more KVR, and share our mutual love of nature & photography (and equine!) at some fav spots with you and I won't get lost with your help :)

      Delete
    5. We were probably both there then because I generally take some time to go to Winterfest at KVR to see the dog sleds and all of the fun that goes on. If that is when you were there.
      I learned by walking the trails and getting turned around how to figure out where I was. So yeah, you wouldn't get lost. :)

      Delete
    6. Yes, I was at Winterfest 2017 during the race. The only way to learn trails is to travel them. My hubby is a human gps, so I don't use my "homing" skills often enough.

      Delete
    7. My hubby was my GPS too! And I was there in 2017.

      Delete
  2. so terribly cold here for the last several days. I know in northern Minnesota it is even colder! I do not miss those insanely cold temps when I went to school there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in the teens below zero was wicked. I was literally going nuts being stuck in the house. But the end is near.
      I can recall visiting my Grandmother's place ... way Up North as a kid and her not letting us go out to play until it was something like -10. Grandpa and my father brought the car battery in the house to keep it warm. This was back in the 1960's. Even the dog was let in the house.
      Brutal cold is never nice.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3:19 AM

    I always enjoy seeing your infrared photography in spite of not knowing much about it. It is wonderful to see alternative visions, I like the lake shore of pink trees. :)

    You sure had your workout for the day yesterday hauling the water and I hope you aren't too sore today.

    Stay warm and enjoy the grocery outing, I know I do enjoy it when I can get out from the house. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to go shopping today. LOL...Oh my. If it gets warm, I'll clean up the Subaru and I may walk off to the woods to enjoy some outside time.
      Yesterday was a bit challenging and I am stretching today. I think I am coming out of the sore back.
      I do love Infrared. It is so 'out' of here that it makes me happy.

      Delete
  4. So you do carry water fit instead of crossfit! Hope you warm up soon. Real cold -35 again this morning so I cannot send warmer weather your way yet:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had 15 here today and it felt like summer. Water carrying. Well yes in a way I used it instead of reps of deadlifts and other lifts we had on schedule. Tanks filled and we are good to go!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.