Thursday, February 18, 2021

Serendipity

I took a class in photography about 10 years ago. I wanted to learn more. And I did, but often I was chastised by the instructor for something he called 'Serendipity'.

He often said I was an okay photographer but I was missing out by just catching the moment. I would never be a great photographer because I didn't plan hard enough.

His complaint is that I let nature run its course and if I went somewhere I didn't plan in advance enough. 
Time, temperature, forecast, ... get an app on your smart phone to tell you the angle of the light in any location at any time... Sunset, golden hour, blue hour...

Plan
Plan
Plan

In a way I do plan. Heavy dew in the morning? Fog? Low lying fog? Hoar frost? Rime frost? I do get out to try and see it through my lens. 

A pro photographer? Nope I am not. So I am the casual for fun photographer. I am Not going to make money at it. My husband used to nag me about it. I've done weddings for friends [dislike] and thought of senior photos, but I am not clever with what I see in today's standards. I leave that to those pros who have studied portraiture. I suck at people photos. 

Besides why would I take something that is my stress reliever and creative outlet and turn it into a JOB? Ewww. No thank you.

My instructor kept at me. I used serendipity. I let things happen and just happened to be there. I would never be 'good'. I understood the push and I learned quite a bit from the 6 month course. What I learned most was the world of pro was not for me. And truthfully in these times, I am glad I do not count on photography as a source of income.

Well. I certainly went off on a rant didn't I?

What started me thinking along these lines was this shot I took yesterday. Totally unplanned. Charlie had freaked out over the coyote and was literally pawing at my coveralls. I thought he might be cold so I sat on a boulder in the creek. I was sweating and my glasses had steamed up under the goggles, so I needed to cool off and give Charlie a break.


I turned around while we were sitting there and thought I'd take out the Olympus I'd just had altered into a Full Spectrum camera and shoot it without an IR filter. 

I was using live view because I had a dog still in my lap. The glare of the bright sunlight made it hard to see, but I had an idea of looking down and seeing up in the still water.


I was really intrigued by the frosty formations on top of the ice formations that I could see with the naked eye. Any time I knelt to look at them, Charlie was climbing into my face and looking for a lift.

I gave up on taking anything interesting and hiked with dog in arms back up the steep hill to home. 

Last night I opened the files and looked at the shots I'd take with purpose. They were okay. But they kind of were just okay

The one I took nearly blind with dog in the way ... I really liked.

Serendipity. I wouldn't have taken it if all those crazy events hadn't happened. If I'd planned it all out I'd have missed my Upside Down shot.

I believe in Serendipity!

Sunset [with the full spectrum camera] on Monday night:




4 comments:

  1. I can relate to your photography rant and serendipity. I am not much of a photo planner, but it is helpful to do basic with astro. Love reflections. Great shot, so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a bit of a rant, and if I want to do something special, like a Black Hawk rock sunrise/moonset, I do have to plan and look at so many things. So I do use planning. It helps to know the conditions before you go somewhere special.

      Delete
  2. Your blinded shot is a good one! You and Charlie too! I helped my daughter with a couple of weddings...as a secondary photographer and that was easy but she was stressed out. I did a wedding for my cousin at night...results were not as good as I thought they should be...but he was pleased. I do family photos outside for my brothers family and always have fun doing that! For me outside is the key!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biggest challenge I ever had for a wedding was an all Mule Mounted Wedding. I had to be mounted also and took photos with a film camera. It was so much fun. Of course changing film was a trick to do while mounted.
      Come to think of it, it was easier being behind the camera at weddings than being in the wedding party.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.