Sunday, February 07, 2021

Bbbbbabbby it's cold out there!

It was -6 this morning and there was a windchill going on. But by the time I was done with hauling hay and water, I was hot! 


I took Charlie with me to get the mail and got a surprise. There was a thing left by the post person on Thursday. "Sorry we couldn't deliver". I looked the item number up on line and it showed an attempt of delivery at MY address at 9:15am on Friday. Well hell's bells. They never tried. I was outside doing chores on Friday at that time and the mail is never delivered until afternoon anyway.

I've gone through this before. Items that need a signature are never delivered to my door. Not since the last post person retired and the new person took over. Tsk, tsk. I paged through my 'Informed Delivery' and it was not included there either. 
Last year I went to the Post Office and talked to our delivery person and explained to him that he had to drive past the upper house to the lower house. 
Alas. Any complaints to the Post Office are met with deaf ears and attitude.

Well oh well. A trip to town come Monday morning is on the docket then. 

But on a good note~~
The VA called and Rich gets his first vaccination on Tuesday. Apparently I could have driven to Madison tomorrow and done it, but our high temps will be below zero. The VA used an auto dial and recorded message for us to call in an make an appointment. I was surprised that there was NO long wait on the telephone and that appointments were not that far out!

That was very good news. I prefer the Madison VA because Rich has had some severe reactions to meds in the past. Better there than a clinic or drug store.

I had a happy dance.

Fred, the Elder Mule and Mica were doing just fine bathing in the sun next to the big shed. I filled their water 4 times with warmed water. By Wednesday everyone will go back to their regular places. My shaggy mule monsters were napping on the forest edge in the late afternoon sunlight. 
But they looked quite content. 

I read a book after shoveling a path from the driveway to the house.

Then I took some time to play with some toys a Flickr pal sent me. Seems like people think I like toys to photograph!


These are hilarious. I wind the toys up and they hop or walk in circles. Charlie nudges them with his nose. He is not quite sure what to do with them. I think the wooden Squirrel is trying to organize them but it doesn't look as if anyone but the flopping teeth toy is listening!

Old Teddy Bears
happy not to be outside.


Something just for fun. 





I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.
Hmmm.

Tomorrow it is supposed to get up to something like -4! I wonder if the creek did a 'flash' freeze.

I guess I will find out!



 

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:35 AM

    Fantastic that Rich can get his first shot! What a relief! I decided I did my grown up years already, now I get to play. I don’t have the clothes for outside so I’ll stay in, but will still play. 😄 24 below here this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that, don't go out if you don't have the proper clothes! I've spent years at figuring out how to stay warm in polar vortexes. This morning I was comfy while doing chores. But there was NO skin showing.
      Love it...I like that line. I'll use it next time someone questions me playing with toys!

      Delete
  2. Ack...the Postal System can be so frustrating! Nice hat and goggles!! Cold here too. So glad that Rich will get his shot. Hope you get yours soon. Day two no furnace we are warm but drafty. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that when the older postal folks retired and the new blood came in, they lost all sense of decency and courtesy. I am glad he will get his shot in the hospital in case he has a reaction.
      I'm not old enough yet for a shot. 3 more months.

      Delete
  3. Glad you were able to get your hubby in for the vaccine. Hope he does okay with it. I am on the fence with getting it for me personally. Not eligible yet, so I've got time to think pro's vs con's. Irks a person when you were home and know they didn't attempt delivery. It has happened to me a couple times since moving here. That last photo is great! Is that an old ammo box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what the box is. It has no bottom and the top may be the piece next to it. I've always liked it though.
      I can see why people would be on the fence with the vaccine. For me, I will do it when I am able. One thing at a time.

      Delete
  4. Our mailman can be a handful as well. Sometimes he leaves packaged that do not fit in the mailbox, exposed! out in the rain. Because he does not want to have to drive down our long driveway to hand deliver them. Cheryl has had a number of books ruined because he CRAMMS them into the mailbox. If you have ever seen the move FUNNYFARM ( with Chevy Chase) The mailman remindes me of the one in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it is the same here. I actually had to explain that there are two homes one on top of the ridge and one down the driveway. The new mailman never looked for the second home. Now I think he or the sub just pops the note and drive on. Same with packages but at least they put them in a plastic bag.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.