Tuesday, February 02, 2021

Caring

I bet it sounds and looks like all I do is fool around with entertaining myself. I do have chores to do morning and night. I have six equine and a goat to care for. Ice balls on the bottoms of hooves to pick out a few times a day, and a stock tank to keep an eye on.

Sometimes when it is snowy, I ride the hay sled right down the hill and bale out at the last second before it goes under the electric wire. It is funny as the horse spins and acts like there is a fire breathing dragon chasing her and the mules follow the sled and wait for me to empty it out and pick feet out while they are eating.

Inside there is a daily routine of care for my husband. Make his coffee [I drink mine stronger], bring him his coffee as he shakes so bad he usually leaves most of it on the floor before he can sit down. Set up his oatmeal so he can make it and make an effort to talk with him about "What we might do today." 

We don't go anywhere so really I just make conversation about stuff in general. After breakfast I do his 'personal' care and keep him company while he decides if he is going to take a nap, stare out the window, or watch a program. 

That's when I think up crazy things to do indoors with still life to entertain myself when not cleaning or doing things for him. 

Nap time is when I usually take Charlie for a walk. No deep woods for us right now. The snow is too deep for Charlie and the coyotes are running. It is breeding season and they have run across the yard chasing each other during daylight hours. 

I do leave Charlie at home when I head down to the creek. I leave a set of keys with Rich so he can set off the car alarm if he needs help. I'm never out of earshot. Once a week, I do plan an offsite expedition. It may be the store, or the Kickapoo Reserve. 
Yes, I carry a cell phone too, but Rich has a hard time figuring out which speed dial number he should push. I have the speed dial number taped to the back of the phone. 

On bad his bad days, I don't leave the house and Charlie gets no walk.
Shrug.

The evenings are like the mornings but in reverse order. It all builds up to eating supper and sitting on the couch with him and Charlie to watch a program. By 8pm he is ready for bed. And again the quiet settles over the house. 

Somehow this winter seems so much harder. It may be the increased isolation and it may be the endless hours of non-conversations in a house that used to be full of discussions. Or it could be the dreary days.
I know I miss my CrossFit times at the gym, though I had to give that up. 

So this person entertains herself by being imaginative. I am very lucky though. We have not gotten sick other than the 3 day stint in December and we have a roof over our heads and food...

4 comments:


  1. Crossfit worked great as an outlet for you...I know you were doing it outside there on the farm....maybe you can find a friend and do it on facetime or zoom or something!
    I know isolation is a struggle, stay strong and keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be a while, but I will do one on one after I am able to get vaccinated and hubby vaccinated...if possible. He has had severe reactions to certain chemo regimes and other ingredients in meds.
      I'm going to dress up in coveralls and go do today's work out. That should be amusing!
      I was feeling very sorry for myself yesterday. It happens.

      Delete
  2. It would be funny to see you bailing out of the sled, being followed by mules etc You must be in really good shape. I was going to say cross fit can be modified/done anywhere, then I saw Far Sides comment. I know it is not remotely the same as attending in person. You deserve every imaginative, or other, break. Being the support person for your hubby is true love, but that doesn't make it easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still do CrossFit but virtually and 3 times a week. Burpees in the snow was hard the other day but when I finished I laid right down on the cold ground to cool off. I do as much as I can in the shed or outside. It isn't the same as having our group in the gym though.
      Haha, my hubby would love to have pictures of me rolling out into the snow.
      Thank you for the kind words.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.