Saturday, February 06, 2021

Thursday's snow

The prediction was for 7 to 9 inches the first time. Then adjusted to 3 to 5, then adjusted to 4 to 7 and gusty winds.

The elder mules got moved to a very sheltered area. The others have the woods. The elder mules get different feed than the youngsters so I have to keep them separate. Fred is now 35 years old and we've discussed getting hay cubes for him. Sort of like babyfood for the elderly. He prefers his senior feed and his regular hay.

My neighbor now does the hill plowing. Rich used to do it, but Justin takes care of it for us. He does it to our property line and stops. But in severe cold weather, he will come down and finish cleaning us out. Good Neighbor!

A look at the driveway from our big shed when Rich used to do it. That is a full sized Skid Steer!


Thursday's view of the driveway from the bottom.




A view from the mailbox on top of the ridge. 


The view looking east, the same road I walked down just the other day with Bear and Charlie.


This made me pleased that I am not driving down to the plant anymore for midnight and 4 am shifts. Our township roads generally don't plow until the snow stops. They used to plow when the buses were on these roads but the school buses no longer travel these back roads. Parents have to take the kids out to the blacktop.

So. I like snowstorms. I love walking and hiking in them. It is made even easier by the fact that I am surrounded by woodlands.







I headed back down through the woods from the mailbox. Part of the way down through the woods the winds started picking up above us.

My face and glasses got plastered with sleet and snow. I was also walking in nearly knee deep snow, but I took it slow and followed along the 4 wheeler trail most of the way down the hillside. 

I just took my pocket camera because I figured the both of us were going to get soaked.


When I got to the end of the hill I just stood and watched the snow get blown and drift across the unused meadow. 

I really wished I could have stayed there all day.



But.

I had to get going. 

Our snowfall? It was about Charlie Shoulder height. 7 inches.

Next up? The Deep Freeze.


6 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:56 PM

    The snow pictures look so pretty but I have to admit that these days I prefer looking out at the snow rather then being out in the snow. Up here we are already in the deep freeze, but at least that means the sun is shining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun shone here today also. I will get out in the deep freeze. But then I have the gear for it. I like cold much better than hot and muggy. I know. I am strange.

      Delete
  2. I love Winter, it is so beautiful! Especially the trees. We got hit with a layer of ice before Thursday's heavy wet snowfall. Roads are still a slickery mess. What a great neighbor to have!! 35 is getting up in age, you've got some sweet oldies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we have wonderful neighbors and have been lucky every time that house changed hands. We help them, they help back. Our ridge of about 5 homes is like that too. Need help? People just seem to know and help.
      Fred is very old. Mica is a hard keeper so she stays with him to keep him company. He was my husband's first mule.

      Delete
  3. Seven inches is a bunch to shovel:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just a path over the yard to the porch. I didn't do a perfect job. It warmed me up after chores.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.