Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Soulmates

The horse that started it all. Her name was Cheyanne and I purchased her for about $400 green broke. I was green broke too. She taught me so much about equine. She was super sensitive to human attitudes. 
Her awareness of her rider's mental state was hypersensitive.


She did a stint in 4 H with Horseless Horse riders and went to state with a rider. 

Unfortunately that atmosphere was not her forte. She did well but stressed out so badly especially when her rider came out of the arena and started to slap Chey because she didn't get first place. 
The rider blamed Cheyanne. Interestingly enough the rider's mother came up to me and complained that I should have made them do better and they would win next year.

I asked the rider to dismount and told mom that her daughter would never touch my horse again.

I ended up moving from the Kenosha area out to the western part of the state. 




I started riding mules and Cheyanne was bred to our Jack. Her first daughter, Sunshine has that floating trot that Chey had. Cheyanne was 1/2 Arab and 1/2 Quarter horse. We never were quite sure which breed would show up while riding her. If we had really tough trails, she would be calm. If it was boring, she would look for monsters. That was Chey.

Rich purchased a big tall lanky mule for me in Missouri out of our Jack. His name was Badger. If ever I had a soulmate in equine form, Badger was it.

I had to finish 'training' him and by doing that, I learned so much more about mules and their loyalties. We showed in Western Pleasure, played at Gymkhana, and explored wild woods nearly every day together.
The man who 'started' Badger under saddle said he was worthless and no good. He didn't have heart and sulled out all of the time. 
Badger was 15 hands and thought he was tiny. For the rest of his life he did not tolerate big male people. 







He even tried Endurance Riding with me. We never won anything, but we always passed vet checks with a great score card.



He adored little people.


We lost Badger in 2012 and I struggled to find another soul mate. 

Sunshine is Badger's half sister out of Cheyanne without the Cheyanne attitude. We also had Siera a Peruvian Paso mule with an amazing attitude. 

Sunshine is steady. She has had her moments, but has turned into one of the best wild wood mounts I've ever had. She is small enough to go morel hunting with, easy on and off, and confident in solo riding.


Siera is an amazing ride. On the flat she can gait out like nothing I've ever ridden. She is calm when she has company and a bit nervous solo. She rarely gets bothered if her rider doesn't understand what they are doing. She just stops what she is doing and waits.
Best thing of all, when she is frightened she just stands there. Siera is the ultimate in lazy.

At first I thought Siera would be my next pure mule soulmate. 


The more I interact with my mules, the more I have discovered that Sunshine, that little red mule that everyone laughed at...has become my little darling. 

Every day at chore time. She comes and stands before me and waits for me. She is kind and attentively listens to my daily troubles and offers only her friendship.
She never runs away from me when I have a halter.

She is like her half brother. True through and through. 
My beautiful redhead.



There I go ... Memory Lane. Mules, horses, life, and love.
I can't wait to go riding again!
I may have take Siera or Sunshine out when the weather warms up and do some snow play.

Have a great day.


2 comments:

  1. Love this post!! Memory Lane is a good place to visit, and nice to know more about your equine past and see your beautiful mounts! Our daughter pulled something similar at State 4H with Harmony. Oh my Brad was livid!! There is so much pressure on the kids, varied levels and immaturity - regardless, it is never okay to take it out on the animals who are trying their best for you. Harmony has more than earned her forever home with us for putting up with her. Back to happier thoughts, enjoy the sunny warmer day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun to hear about your critters:)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.