Thursday, February 11, 2021

friluftsliv

 Norwegian

~~ Literal Translation : Free Air Life
or the connection with the outdoors.

Hygge:
~~Quality of cozy and well being.

I've never put names to it, I just know that being outside and in the surrounding woods are essential to my well being. Daily trips through my woods and along the creek let me observe the changes of nature around me. I always find something to make the trip worthwhile.
Sometimes it is only Caddisfly larvae 'homes' in the creek. Sometimes it is the ice that glitters or the way the creek flash freezes in subzero temperatures.
Or in spring, I note the first signs of Jewel Weed coming up in the creek. Later in the summer I am pulling the Jewel Weed because it chokes the creek!

I decided that it was warm enough yesterday afternoon to go for a stroll. I guess my intentions were to put on the snowshoes and take a slow walk back to the creek since I hadn't been there. Yeah, those muscles were not happy, however it had been quite a day already.
I won't bore you with details. 

The temperature reached 4 degrees so I put on my cold weather gear and snowshoes and headed out. 

I needed some Friluftliv or some fresh air and outdoors to keep me from going bonkers.

Imagine my surprise when I heard robins in the creek! What on earth were they doing?




I had to sit on a log for about 30 minutes and remain nearly perfectly still for them to land in the creek area. I was as surprised as all get out. 

I turned and decided to walk up the creek and take a look around. I was using my snowshoes as the snow in the valley was still pretty deep. I walked over 'submerged' rocks and logs. Stepping over logs with snowshoes takes a bit of practice.

Frost on roots near a little spring that was flowing.


The upper portion 
of the creek was frozen
solid.


I love the way the snow covers the boulders and makes everything appear soft. Under the ice the water is still moving along.


I eventually made it to the fenceline and then climbed up the hillside and through the electric fence to the summer woods. [It is disconnected]

I was happy to see the end of the trail in sight. I was tired and sore. But I was also warm.
Most of all, I felt happy and calm inside.


Or was it Friluftsliv?




4 comments:

  1. It absolutely was friluftsliv, and exactly what I've been missing so very much this past week. Maybe I will take a short hike this weekend, while my hubby keeps the dogs company. I love that you sat in stillness with the robins! Nature is so healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, wrap up! I wear a high 'tech' face mask, and have goggles to keep my eyes from burning...which I flip up to use the camera. The goggles look goofy as all get out but it literally prevents the upper half of my face from freezing.
      Hope it isn't too wicked cold and you get a chance to get out.

      Delete
  2. You braved the cold weather! The snow covered rocks and creek is a beautiful photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are supposed to get very cold again this weekend. 0 almost feels tolerable now and 10 feels like spring. I'm glad you are staying warm!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.