Saturday, February 13, 2021

Couldn't sleep

And it all is another blogger's fault. 
I'm laughing because really it isn't anyone's fault.

But I woke up suddenly and thought: What if the Heater quits all of a sudden?

So I sat up and went out to the living room to listen to the heater. We have a cabin heater for our tiny cottage. It does just fine. But I was obsessed with the thought of it not working. 

I decided to read a book on my Kindle.
Then I got to thinking about Moss and Lichen and spring and summer.
So I started a search on books about Lichen and Moss. Identification guides.



...and then there was this Grumpy Dragon:


I decided to stop looking at things. This was no good!


I gathered some blankets and laid on the loveseat with Charlie and started to drift off. I checked the outside temps. -10 with a wind from the North. The mules were playing and chasing each other in the pasture. Must have needed to warm up a bit.

Guess what? The heater worked even when I wasn't watching it.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry if i caused you to worry! You are my first blog read of the day on the new computer...uffda what a learning curve. Buy one of those quartz heaters to supplement if your stove poops out. -40 here this am :(. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really didn't cause me other than to think about it ... of course I'm sure you've awakened with something on your mind at night and it kept you up! :) I ordered two books with that so I think it was worthwhile! Oh my -40. I don't think we've ever had that. Brrrr.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3:43 PM

    I am so glad the heater kept working. Ten below is way to cold to be without heat.

    The identification guides look like great finds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't know why I woke up and thought about it like that. But it was sort of funny. My husband kidded me all day about it and we have heat.
      The sleeplessness just allowed me to look up some books so there it is!

      Delete
  3. I find the smallest of thoughts can keep my mind spiraling, for some unknown reason. Mostly replays and what if's. If only I could find the off button!! Tends to happen more when I haven't done enough during the day to be truly tired, and not just from boredom. Not that being without heat in frigid cold weather is a small thing! Some kind of alternative heat for back-up would be wise, just incase. Of course you can always bundle up while you wait for repair in your winter hiking gear :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the one thing I am not prepared for! Yes, my mind sometimes won't shut off all night because of the 'what ifs'. I swear that the world's troubles try to find themselves a home in my brain at night.
      Haha. Hubby would still freeze.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.