Tuesday, February 02, 2021

Don't play with your food

I think every child has heard that from their mom. However. While making cookies I thought this would be fun.
I made a diorama out of an old wooden box and used ambient light from the kitchen window as my light source.




I did some more reading and read about a do it yourself softbox for lighting. Controlling the lighting is pretty fun. I'd tried that a week or so ago with the Dinosaurs, Dragons, and a lamp.

Two years ago I'd created a similar light box and photographed an apple. That experiment was just to do a product type of photo.
It sort of worked, but I still had a shadow on the lower part of the photo. 



I had a big cardboard box sitting next to the back door and I needed to do something with it. I remembered the softbox I'd made and thought I'd try another one. I got out the box knife and made a new lightbox. I cut out two sides and the top. 

Getting a light to shine down was difficult since I only had two lamps.
But it might work for diffused light from above the object I would be photographing.



I added scrapbook paper as a backround and then scrounged around for some items that might look neat.


I used rocks and 1931 Singer sewing parts. I found the tiny needles folded up cardboard labeled London 1851. I used a tiny Halo figurine.



The scrapbook paper provided a 'grunge' looking backdrop.

I looked around for something like a circuit board for a backdrop for the tiny soldiers.
The best I could come up with was more discarded Singer parts. These parts came from my Aunt's sewing machine she purchased in 1931.


I had a bit of fun with it too. 
Beam me UP!


And then I switched things up a bit.
This would have worked better if you couldn't see where I joined two white pieces of paper together. Uffdah! 
My little Not - Fairy Garden Dragons. 


Cute Dragon and Forest Dragon.
I really like Dragons!
This I lit up from the top by putting the camera on a timer and then grabbing the lamp and shining it down from the top of the box without knocking stuff over.


And for a bit of silliness.
I have no idea why I selected this, maybe because it amused me. I think cute hearts would have been funnier as a backdrop.

Giddyup!



Then this afternoon after a friend saw the dinosaur eating the cookie ... she texted me that it was so UNFAIR that her Zoo Crew she'd sent me didn't get any goodies!

I had made a cake [and believe me...that is a big effort!]. So after Rich had a piece, I ...
well
I...

played with the food...

The Zoo Crew !


















5 comments:

  1. Dino collections! Good hing I never started a dragon collection. I'm certain I would have been overwhelmed. ( we used to play a lot of Dungeons and Dragons back in High school... I was such a nerd.) The box idea looks pretty good. Cheryl bought a professional one for her soap making pictures. I may have to try it out with some origami later... when I get the motivation to fold again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Collecting the Dinos and Dragons were merely for the grand kids. But kids grow and I must have gone backwards. We didn't have anything as Way Cool as these toys as a kid. I am really surprised by the amount of people that actually have Dinosaur collections and Dragon Collections.
      Using the lightbox for your Origami would be pretty nice!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:25 PM

    I'm smiling at this fun post. I have an open mouthed angle fish playing in the tomato plants, an inspiration from you. I think I may finally get to the 'Borrowers garden' inspired by Mary Norton's young adult series - 'The Borrowers'. I think playing keeps us young and happier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun! Little toys or fun little things can be!
      I think I read that book as a kid. Fairy Gardens and little designs are so fun to create and have. I enjoyed setting up my things in the flower garden last year. I would love to see your little fish! :)

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.