Tuesday, January 03, 2023

I like ice

Not Ice Cubes, or Ice Storms, or Icy roads but natural ice formations. 

I like ice caves or actually ice formations. I like those rock shelters that have water seeping over and through them. In the winter they form exotic and beautiful ice curtains. The colors of the ice can be stunning depending on what the seepage picks up. I've seen hues of greens, blues, and yellows.

It all has to do with absorption of light and reflection of light. But I just admire it for what it is.


I'd planned on this hike for over a week so I packed my things and set off.

It is one of the winter attractions at the Kickapoo Valley Reserve. Getting to this valley is described in the brochure as "Trails into and around the ice flows are steep, slippery, and strenuous travel. Walkers are are advised to use caution as the trails are strenuous back country winter hiking."

This is true. The trails are there and sometimes even easy to follow late in the year by all the frozen foot prints in the snow. The trails are not maintained and sometimes marked with blue strips of ribbon on trees.

I hadn't done a proper exploration of the Valley of Ice last year, just a hurried walk through when I met my Geologist friend Jason and his dog Piper.

This time I wanted to take my time and explore.

So I did. I found the first ice cave after taking the trail from the maintenance building along the snowmobile trail. The 40+ degree weather had melted the packed snow into ice and the light skiff of snow and sleet we had the night before made that trail just plain treacherous. I trudged through the snow on the side of the packed trail. 

The first cave wasn't too impressive and many more large trees have fallen over the past year. Climbing through the mess wasn't my what I intended to do first thing so I followed a run off along the valley floor. 

In a way it was a happy accident because it took me far out off the trails and to where I wanted to explore last spring. 

Charlie and I crossed the backwater marsh on the eastern side of the river and gazed across towards the Valley of Ice on March 11th in the blog titled Time Out.

I ended up where the arrow is in the next photo.


I sort of rejoiced in the discovery and then turned towards the steep hillside behind me and get back to the trail.

According to the contour map of the area, I had to climb 100 feet up from the valley floor back to find the trail.

I did. And I enjoyed every bit of it. At times I sat on an old pine tree's roots and stared down into the valley and the ice covered river. 
I was feeling every second of being alive. 

I took off my coat when I reached the trail on top and carried it as I hiked along the trail back towards where the ice caves were. I did a face palm as soon as I realized that the trail would take me around the top of all these valleys and that I'd be going at least an extra mile. I secretly was glad no one else had gone with me. However, doing all of the trails last year was a real bonus. As I immediately knew where I was and how far I had to go.


In good time I found the right valley and the first of the Ice Caves. I made my way down into the run off below the cave.


It looks as though you can walk right on into it. Well, it takes some scrambling and some grit. Here is the view from where I was sitting inside on the left part of the cave.


I scrambled around to the other side. Having good insulated and water resistant pants is a good thing here. I sat inside for quite a few minutes and listened to the water dripping. It was peaceful.


View of the Ice Curtain across the front from the inside.


As the noon whistle went off in LaFarge, I was halfway back to the parking area. 

I passed up a father and son who asked me about the ice and then a couple with their dogs. A pit bull and a mini Doxxie. It seemed that a  few people were taking advantage of a nice sunny Holiday to get out and walk.

When I got to the parking area I had to laugh. It seems Subarus like to park near each other. 



I can't wait to go back and explore some more.

Valley of the Ice



9 comments:

  1. What a spectacular ice curtain! Well worth the hike I'm sure. I can just feel how peaceful it was for you to sit there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks it was worth the adventure and I got a message from my Geologist buddy and we are going to go ice caving next weekend.
      At least I know someone as crazy as I am!
      They are hard to get to but well worth the effort.

      Delete
  2. Oh, man...you are brave! I enjoy the photos very much but not a chance I'd take that hike. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never grown out of things like climbing trees and wandering through the forests. Doing things like this is just what I do.

      Delete
  3. wow those curtains of Ice are spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, behind the waterfall is the first for me to see. You have taken some wonderful ice shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ice caves are cool (no pun intended) and the colors make them even more amazing. You found some great ones!! Glad you are chillin' in your happy place and have another adventure to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited to see Jason and his dogs Piper and Felix. Felix is his new adoptee. I'll leave Charlie home so I won't have to worry about him getting overwhelmed with two bigger dogs.

      I am looking forward to adventuring with Jason, he has a constant stream of geology terminology going while we hike together.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.