Friday, March 11, 2022

Time Out

I needed a Time Out. 

I didn't think the ponds would be thawed out at Kickapoo Valley Reserve, but Charlie and I went anyway. I forgot my YakTraks so I decided not to check out my favorite ice 'fall'. 

I like winter. I can walk across a frozen boggy area and not get wet. I did a lot of wandering off trail following wildlife trails. Little short Charlie had to negotiate the long grasses but he seemed to enjoy all the scents he found near the tiny stream we followed.

I was hoping to hear birds, you know, like Sandhill Cranes or Geese. But once I saw that the ponds were still iced, I knew I wouldn't find any.

But I did see an eagle. I didn't bother pulling the camera out at first, because eagles always fly off by the time I'd get the camera out of my pack.

However, the eagle kept circling overhead. Shooting straight up and trying to follow the eagle was really hard. 
Shooting straight up also makes me feel like I'm going to tip backwards.

It isn't the best shot and it is cropped a---lot. I was pretty pleased anyway.


We walked to the birding blind and looked at the frozen pond. Then we took off down another wildlife trail and explored the marshy area west of the ponds.


We found the river and a few places where raccoon had left trails in the bank.


Charlie was in heaven, so many smells!


The Ice Shoves from last week's heavy rains and warm temperatures were amazing. These shoves were piled high on the bank. The sun's warmth had given them Teeth! We found some shoves about 30 feet inland in the marsh too.


We headed back to the Visitor's Center. Charlie likes to lead the way. I suppose he thinks I don't know how to follow a trail?



The river was flowing but the ponds were still encased in ice. We didn't see another human and we didn't see any migratory birds, but we still had a great Time Out.

With next week's warm up the ponds should open up.

As I was toweling my muddy/iced up dog off in the parking lot, we heard geese and a Sandhill Crane calling overhead. At least I think it was a Crane.





9 comments:

  1. The shot of the eagle is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks! I'm not that great at it yet. But I will keep trying!

      Delete
  2. Great photo of the Eagle! Good to hear that your Time Out was good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, thanks. Just walking aimlessly and still discovering things is awesome.

      Delete
  3. Awesome KVR-ing!! I like the light coming through the eagles tail. Once the birds been spotted they sure do scatter quickly. Survival of the fittest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was a lucky shot I aimed and went Pew, pew, pew!

      KVR in the winter is fun-ner when you can walk on a marsh to explore!
      By next week, that area will be all wet.

      Delete
  4. I am sure ready for a warm up. I chill way too quickly in my older age. We still have snow banks in small amounts and it is so brown yet. You and doggy had a fun walk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Eagle shot is AWESOME! I totally need a better camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but it is really quite hard to get them in flight! But I keep trying and enjoying the challenge.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.