Tuesday, March 08, 2022

I'm my own Hero

 Ahhh, the skid steer saga once more. I am mechanically dis-inclined. If things don't work, I toss up my hands and walk away. An engine is a mystery to me that I'm not even curious enough to investigate.

Since we had the episode last week of the skid steer not starting again, hubby said that he wanted me to go out and put the battery charger on it and to hook up the engine heater thingy.


I did find the battery and I did hook it up though it was a scary place inside the battery compartment. It is hard to see in there and basically I'm rather afraid of batteries.
My father always told us they'd blow up. Guess that stuck with me.

I recall the tech guy saying that I should charge it on the slower setting rather than the fast one.  I should put it on a maintenance trickle charger or just make sure to use it every so many days. All this I explained to hubby who said I was full of bunk.

So I went out and did it the way the tech told me to. It took two days [I didn't leave it charging overnight ~ it is parked near our huge bales of hay]. 



I got it started! I let it run long enough to warm everything up and then shut it off. I plan on using it this week to fill the bucket with manure from the two nights Little Richard spent in his stall and to fill it with the goat's old bedding. Once the driveway is no long mud-mush, I'll dump it in the huge compost pile.

I've run this thing before but it has been a while. I'd rather hubby feel good enough to use it. I really think it is too much machine for the piddly jobs I have around here. 

However, getting it running was a huge relief and I crossed off one big worry for the moment.

To celebrate, I put on my YakTraks and decided to see what the rain, snow and freeze did to the creek area.

The water did flow from the neighbor's pasture and run into the creek. In some places small dams were created by dead leaves.

I decided to sit and listen to the forest. What could I hear? I heard a chickadee, a bluejay, a hawk, and something walking on the land above the creek. It wasn't a human, perhaps it was a squirrel, coyote, or deer.

I just waited.

Now I should have had a long lens, but I didn't. But there was a deer! 
[Click on the picture to enlarge it]


Can you see the doe? She is almost so well camouflaged that I put an arrow on the photo pointing to her face.


It was a doe and a yearling! They must have smelled me or seen me move and off they went.



So happy little dance for me. I got the scary machine started and I saw some wildlife.


I think I need to make myself a superhero cape.
 

8 comments:

  1. Great catch on the deer! Love the little one with its legs all tucked up running.
    I ran machinery for a living but I still let my husband do all the maintenance stuff :0) It's only fair because I have to do all the house work, except the vacuuming. I can't abide a vacuum cleaner so I make him do it. I'd rather sweep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maintenance is beyond my scope of understanding. Well, obviously I figured out a few things. I admit, I am helpless with things like that.
      But I can train a dog or a mule! LOL!
      Machines don't react when I shake a finger at it to make it behave.
      :)

      Delete
  2. Nice piece of equipment! Hope it works for you to get your job done! Starting it every week might help, batteries scare me too...we had one blow up once...what a mess that was. We got in the truck, Far Guy turned the ignition and boom...good thing no one was nearby and we were safely inside the truck. Andy and Jen came running as we were in their driveway, Andy got a hose and diluted the battery acid and we went and bought a new battery.
    Pretty deer they look like they had a good winter. My Doctor back home told me yesterday that a deer attempted to go over a big snow bank, got trapped in the deep snow and died right there upright. They have so much snow back home and a year ago we had patches of grass showing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too I can find little jobs once a week for me to do. Like moving some dirt from point A to B. Last year hubby didn't want me touching HIS machine. This year I guess it will be different. I am not afraid to use it in nice conditions, but it still intimidates me.

      We have more deer here than I've ever seen before. I hope to sit and scope some out with the long lens this year for photos.

      Deep snow and ice are hard on the deer.

      Delete
  3. Your skid steer is like our bobcat, but wearing a yellow coat. Shows what I know. Not much. For some reason I pictured a different machine. I like running ours! Sorry to say I wouldn't get rid of a functioning bobcat/skid steer either. As long as you can run it. They are worth their weight in gold out in the country, especially with equine. You just need to do what you said and spend time getting used it. I absolutely leave all our tricky maneuvering stuff & maintenance to Brad. He has been running them his whole life. Shoot me an email if he/we can help or answer any Q's.

    I am not mechanically inclined either. You absolutely deserve a super hero cape!!

    Cute deer peeking out pic, with the arrow. Where in the world is deer-aldo? I tried to figure out what kind of hawk you saw. I came up with a flying one 😬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea about the hawk either.

      The skid steer though, is not useful to me as I am very limited as to where I can drive it. My husband rolled one over in 2012 on our steep hillsides but did no damage other than just going upside down until he righted himself.
      If I need work done that is tricky, I ask my neighbor and he brings out his tractor.
      A UTV with a dump box would work out awesome for me.

      I just simply don't use it for anything. If it sits most of the time it isn't good for it either?
      When we had cattle, he used it every day to feed and move feeders and stuff around.
      Now, it sits.

      You are right, we are lucky to have a nice machine that is paid for and works. But I just don't feel I need it.

      Know that I DO appreciate your input! But that machine skeers me!

      Delete
  4. Oh yah, I didn't think about your hilly terrain. I wouldn't use anything motorized on hills, and that includes a lawn mower. Even with tracks. I am too much of a chicken. I haven't rolled a bobcat backwards yet, but I am sure my day is coming.

    Yep, motors need to be run. I am glad you have helpful neighbors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You remind me that I need to go start my truck to see if it will happen. I started it a month ago and forgot to shut if off for about 20 minutes. It has a new battery. I don't drive it much as it is too big for an old man like me. You started the loader, that has to feel really good.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.