Monday, March 21, 2022

Spring Surprises

Symplocarpus foetidus

aka Skunk Cabbage!


I had never heard of Skunk Cabbage until I moved to this area. I'm sure they can be found in forests near damp places around the state. Now I search for them every year to see how early the present themselves.


The earliest I've found them has been March 18th. The latest I found them just coming up was around April 15th.

The Common Powderhorn Lichen seemed revived with the moisture from the rain and melting snow.



Everything is mostly brownish and muddy right now so the lichen and moss are the colorful items in the woods.

I just love the name of this. Snakeskin Liverwort. It looks like dragon skin but grows mixed in with mosses. It is hard to spot too.


And then there was another surprise in my mailbox. I opened the box and found a mass of bubble wrap and I thought that as pretty funny. Perhaps someone thought I needed more for a suit of armor.

I unwrapped the bubble wrap and found a small figure that came with a card describing it.

Into the Woods
with BIG FOOT

Keep calm, stay wild
and squatch on.
Get lost in the woods
and have some fun!

Enjoy your journey,
one step at a time.
Believe in yourself,
everything will be fine.





I have a new pal to journey with. I showed it to hubby who just shook his head and laughed when I explained it.

Then I told him I was going 'Squatching'. 

I think that is a perfect made up word for what I love to do, explore the forest.


8 comments:

  1. What a magical fairy forest! I will show these photos to my granddaughter who is five. She knows all about these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wanted a fairy garden but I made a dragon garden and let the unicorns in.... maybe Squatch will have to visit the flower garden this year!
      :)

      Delete
  2. What a cute little guy, just perfect!! You found some great color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is adorable! Looks like my hubby on a bad hair day!

      Delete
  3. "Squatching"...great word to describe your love of wondering in the woods. How cute someone wrapped that up for you. Thanks for the visit, will add you to my blog list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I owe that to another blogger I met last year! She is an amazing friend and we both enjoy hiking and photographer.

      Delete
  4. love the dragon skin. I have never seen that before, but I do know Skunk Cabbage. I may be remembering this wrong, but Mom used to say it was edible? The name does not suggest it being very appetizing. Then again, the Genters ate EVERYTHING on the farm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a happy day when you get to go squatching! The word does exist in the Urban Dictionary, but I like your meaning better.

    Love the photos!!

    You found your first Spring flower this year close to your earliest observation. Our property is too dry for skunk cabbage, but have seen it growing nearby. I have yet to see anything flowering outdoors this Spring. Soon.

    Looking forward to more of your cool forest find & photos!! Like the snakeskin, which is new to me.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.