Thursday, March 17, 2022

Birds of all kinds

I'm not much of a 'birder' but I am beginning to understand the fun in it. Taking photographs of birds in their natural environment is harder than it seems. 

Grackles~~ Correction!
These are Starlings!


As annoying as these birds are, I found out that they eat insects and all sorts of bugs. So maybe they aren't as bad as all that. I wish they'd stay out of the shed though.

These were on our dead pine tree this morning.

We have a lot of crows around here and I've started to observe them. This bunch is making a new nest.

One landed on a locust tree near our house and I watched it as it tried to literally yank a branch off the tree.


Not sure if you can see that it is still hanging on to the branch above and is doing this maneuver in an upside down fashion yet still maintaining its balance.



Interesting. Can they tell which twigs are dead? The crow took three tries at it and then flew off.


I thought I'd take a chance and head out to Kickapoo Valley Reserve to see if any birds had come to the ponds since last week. 

I was rewarded by Redwing Black birds singing and the echo of swans, Sandhill Cranes, and geese from down in the ponds. 

It was a muddy trek, but worth it. 

Canada Geese


They sure can make noise! And I got to practice shooting them in flight and panning at the same time. 



11 seconds of angry birds...


I headed around the back way to the second pond. I was hoping to be able to find a good spot to watch the birds.

Midway across the pond there were Geese, Swans, Sandhill Cranes, and some crows walking about on the ice [not in the photo].


This pair of swans were building a nest.


Thanks for that link Aurora!
Their bills were all black when I blew up the photo. I think that means they are Trumpeter Swans.

Below is the swan building her nest. I was watching from the blind and trying to hold that long lens perfectly still was a bit hard.

She picks up sticks and whatnot from around her and drops it on her nest!
How cool is that?
16 seconds of nest building



On my way back to the car I found this guy serenading me on a tree next to old 131 trail.

Redwing Blackbird



This evening while doing chores, I saw a Blue Bird again. I sure hope they build their nest in the cavity by Sven's pen.

And tomorrow? We could get snow and rain. No one is quite sure where it will happen yet.


4 comments:

  1. You found a nice variety of birds & got to shoot through the blinds! It would be super fun to watch the swan cygnets floating around after they hatch, being adorable. Maybe even capture them in various stages. I read somewhere the young can hang around with their parents over a year. I would think the swans would get territorial with the other big birds during nesting, like all the other birdees do. Nice shot of the calling goose tongue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much.
      I know that a year to two I went there and just watched for a moment or so then left. There were geese that seemed to be nesting and others arguing. I was just amused and didn't watch.

      Now I'm inclined to observe and learn. I have so much to learn!
      Just think that last week I walked that marsh behind those birds!

      It was fun and very relaxing.

      Delete
  2. Fun to her the birds! That Canada Honker is a tad grumpy! You had a good outing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Grackles. Such a pretty blue shimmer when the light hits them just right. They strut around our yard with such attitude in the spring. Loved the nest building!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.