Sunday, March 13, 2022

Last of the Ice?


What do you see? 

I had no idea what I was looking for other than fresh cold air and getting out of the cold wind on Saturday. I didn't take Charlie with me. The snow had a hard sharp crust on it in areas of the valley and I was going to walk near two coyote dens.

I followed the creek east and just spent time enjoying the tiny ice formations that I wouldn't see again until next winter.


I spotted several places were there were trout darting back and forth under the ice. They are hard to see but yes, they were there. The trout are pretty cool, they are so sensitive to any movement so in order to watch them you have to remain absolutely still.


I eventually found myself at the far eastern edge of the valley. The one with the long ravine and tiny spring in it.

I was happy that I'd put my YakTraks on!


There is no way to travel up this ravine other than climbing the ice or the boulders.








I turned and went back to the creek to follow it home.

Cool Bubbles


Is there a face in this ice?


Layered ice near the deer trail I use to climb out of the creek.


It is supposed to get into the higher 40's today with warmer temperatures all week. So this may have been my last Ice Adventure in our creek this winter. After all Spring Solstice is but 7 days away.

Those huge ice formations will hang on for a while yet, but these little beauties will disappear. 
Sad Face.

Hmmm. The ice will melt, the birds will start migrating and landing in the open water, and I could go back to KVR and enjoy some birding time!
It all balances out!




6 comments:

  1. You certainly found some amazing art works in the ice! What a lovely place to explore!

    Thank you for your input on my medical post. I am completely uncomfortable with my medical office. In our small town all the private practices are now working under the hospital and are all tied together. You even book medical appointments at private offices through the hospital switchboard. My next plan is to schedule with a nurse practitioner instead of a physician and ask for referrals. I think he is too many steps ahead of me on his treatment recommendations. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our rural town is much the same, but you need to have someone who is going really talk to you about the pros and cons of any treatment. My PA listens and we can discuss what we want to try moving foreword.
      I'm surprised that he didn't offer options. Sad.

      Yes the walk/hike was fantastic and so refreshing. Exercise in the form of walking is one of the treatments that PT told me I should continue to do for my health. Easy peasy for me since I do that anyway!

      Delete
  2. Great icy photos! Especially the icy bubbles! You had a good hike...and plans for bird watching sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you like the ice but I can see all the wonderful waterfalls that you get to see. We are a lot more melted than you but we are southern compared to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, you found some very cool and varied ice!! Not sure what I think the first shot looks like, other than pretty. Perhaps a lacy leaf. I see faces in both of the photos above & below your related question. EEKS!! The right side bubble looks like a gas mask kinda face. The left a helmet wearing dude with a button nose, profile view. That second to last shot is unreal!!! Totally looks like a water gargoyle wolf. Showing his teeth, complete with evil eyes! Did you run? I would have. Incredible find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! When I shot that one, I was thinking of you and how you like to find faces in things.
      I wondered what you'd see!

      The bubble one was kind of eerie.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.