Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Manus Manum Lavat




This family of eagles with two juveniles and two baldies are still hanging out around our place. I guess I don't mind at all because they are such incredible looking birds.

I have to scan the trees each day before Charlie gets to go out and do his thing. 

Mica has improved immensely with her diaper padded/booted foot. She was trotting around in the farthest part of the pasture at feeding time last night. It doesn't seem to me that there is an abscess, but what exactly do I know? Perhaps she bruised her foot or something. All I know is that it makes me happy to see the old girl happy again.

I got Rich in for an eye appointment finally! He normally goes to the VA for his eye appointments, but getting anything done through their vision department is at best a bit difficult. I imagine it relates to staffing shortages. And who wants to drive 5 hours for an eye exam anyway? [Especially since I have limited distance vision now!]

Today is my consult with the cataract surgeon. While at the appointment yesterday for Rich I asked if they would be dilating my eyes at the consult/exam. The answer was yes. 

Oh. Crap.
When Olive came over to help me with Mica and do a quick walk before she went to pick up her son, she decided that she would drive me to the appointment. I was shocked but pleased at her offer.

I figured I'd have to sit in the waiting room for hours to get some eyesight back from being dilated.

I told her I wouldn't want to impose on her. She laughed. Of course just this week she announced that she was pregnant and I offered my services to help out with anything she might need. Someone to play with her 2 year old if she was tired, or whatever I could do.

She quipped, "Don't worry! There will be times I call on you to come keep an eye on Aiden while we go for baby scans!"

Yep, that sure sounds reasonable!

I got a text from my neighbors at the top of the hill. Would I feed and walk their dogs this weekend when they went out of town? They hated to impose...but they would compensate me.
I replied that there would be no compensation, I'd be thrilled to do it.

There is an old Latin saying that I learned in my first year of  High School Latin.

Manus Manum lavat.
"One hand washes the other."

It certainly works in rural areas with good neighbors.

8 comments:

  1. Good luck with both eye appointments. Yes, I needed a driver to most of my cataract appointments, so you and Olive are likely to have a brisk exchange of services.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I happily take on playing with kids at any time, it is such a pleasure to be asked.
      Come to think of it, this will be the 3rd set of little ones I've got to play with in my years here!

      Delete
  2. It sure does. It's great that Olive will drive you. I'll say it again, I'm really happy she is your neighbor. The eagle photos are majestic. Charlie would be happy for them to move on, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:22 AM

    You live in a real neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you have good neighbors! It really helps out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad your horse's hoof is so much better. We have a lot of eagles in our area now in comparison to years ago when their were so few.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Eagle pics! As much as I enjoy watching and photographing raptors, I do not want them hanging around our land. They can be territorial. I would be keeping a very close eye on Charlie too.

    If the Eagles are hanging around, I wonder if they are building/have a nest nearby. That would be fun to watch! As long as they leave your little guy alone.

    I was reading up on Owls, and surprised to find out they will grab/feed on cats. Yikes!! I will stop wishing to see them here, and instead be content going elsewhere to view birds of prey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do have some special neighbors. And so do they!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.