Friday, January 06, 2023

Birdy Birdy



Hey you in the house!
Fill the feeders!


Eagles just hanging out.

At first there were two....


And after I got done putting sand, grit, and hay chaff on the driveway and up the hill...

There were three!
[Two were close together]


I sent Charlie into the house. He'd be just a nice snack for these beauties.
They stayed for a couple of hours and then flew off. 

I was pretty happy.

Earlier last week I went to the creek for a walk and saw dozens of Cedar Waxwings eating on what I think were either dried up cherries or Buckthorn berries.

What an incredible site they were!





Yesterday while spreading some chaff near the house [due to the icy driveway], I heard a Robin! I wonder if he/she were lost. 

Two winters ago I did spot a small flock of them in the valley where I found the Cedar Waxwings. 

I had one of these guys land on my mitten and grab feed. It took me about 20 minutes of standing absolutely still with a mitten full of birdseed before they came. Twice a Tufted Titmouse landed on me and took feed.



Hubby got to watch from inside the house. He though it was pretty cool.


14 comments:

  1. I love cedar waxwings. It's a rare sight around here, and very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall seeing them before at all that is why it was so exciting for me!

      Delete
  2. Cute cardinal photo. Glad you and Rich are enjoying a variety of birdy visitors. Experiencing a flock of Cedar Waxwings is very exciting ~ and you even have birds eating out of your hand. There are cool photos floating around of birds eating off of people (mittens, hats, shoulders etc). That would be fun to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about how to do that but can't quite work it out yet.
      The Cedar Waxwings were amazing and they were not loud.

      Delete
  3. I have never seen a Cedar Waxwing. You live in an amazing place, Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my first time seeing them. I went back to sit and watch the next day and they were gone. I was really in awe.
      I am surrounded on 3 sides by forest and valleys. In the surrounding approx. 1,200 acres there are no homes. That makes a huge difference in wild life.

      Delete
  4. I do miss the eagles from Iowa. I did see a few of them on my trip home last week. They are a fantastic bird!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen Cedar Waxwings returning from the North in the Fall but they never stay long, just long enough to eat berries and leave again. Your Cardinal is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure they were hanging around but that is the area I found Robins a couple of years ago. They were beautiful!

      Delete
  6. Yes, get the dog inside. I enjoy your waxwings. I wish that our area had more full grown trees. My old place had such a large variety of birds but now here they are scarce. We are actually four miles from a man-made lake and there is lots of timber between us but it just doesn't help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wax wings love the mountain ash berries. This summer they were hanging around the river and catching bugs in mid air.
    Must be migrating time for the eagles over there; around here it is usually early March that they show up.
    Love that cardinal, and how cool is it that you had birds eating out of your hand! That is true patience,.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had eagle nests within a mile of our place so it is not unusual for us to see them. I'm just honored that they are hanging out right now! I've been seeing them since mid December in my trees.
      They will flock to the Mississippi when the ice starts breaking up.
      They out there again for the past two days and early early this morning.
      I'll have pictures later...
      I have never seen Cedar Waxwings before in person, they are beautiful!

      Delete
  8. OH THAT CARDINAL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, he seems to look right in the window. They are so entertaining!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.