Monday, January 02, 2023

The year changed

I used to get really excited about staying up until midnight and watching Dick Clark's count down. 

I don't anymore. The new year is another way of starting January all over. I know that sounds pretty dumb and stupid. But for some people, the holidays are bummers. The expectations that on January 1st things are suddenly going to change is well,

stupid.

January can be a contentious month for winter weather. It can be awful or fun depending on where you live and how you like or dislike winter.  

I woke up early and thought to self. Hey Self, have a cuppa coffee and walk to the ridge with Charlie. It isn't too wickedly cold and perhaps the sunrise will be beautiful for the first day of 2023.

And we did.



I walked across the cropland to the eastern edge where the land is highest and waited. Charlie wandered around the corn stubble smelling deer and searching for mice or voles.



Maybe there wasn't much that was incredible about changing a number from 22 to 23. But the feeling of standing there in the still morning air watching the light change felt pretty incredible.

As it rose the predicted fog/haze from the high humidity of the previous day started to work its magic on the land.



I stayed longer than I intended too. Rich's coffee was made and I hadn't left a note but I figured he'd know that I walked up to the ridge as it is my usual routine.

I stayed a bit longer. I like this little tree. In the summer it gets lost with all the weeds and crops growing up on each side of it.

I walked home.

2023 officially had begun.


Let the adventures begin...

8 comments:

  1. You had some beautiful sights to great you for the new year. January can be a struggle but lets look forward to spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to welcome a new year. Perfect closing photo! Love this series of moody photos!! That tree is awesome. To me it looks like it is dancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably was dancing because it finally got noticed!
      Some days I wished I lived on the ridge so I wouldn't have to walk so far to see the sunrise, however on those wicked windy days...I'm glad I don't!
      It was inspiring to watch.

      Delete
  3. Glorious start to the year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great way to start the year! Love the last photo.
    Mornings are my favourite time of day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks. That is my Lego Persona.

      Delete
  5. That is a pretty way to start the year!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.