Friday, January 20, 2023

Exploring

 



Mr. Charlie and I went Exploring last week on Saturday. We left early and got to the Reserve before most people are getting up and about. I like it that way especially when I take my UnCharted Trails.

Actually, they are trails from long ago and are no longer included on the maps. They are perfectly fine for walking though and equine traffic would have damaged the sensitive plants that are in certain areas of the reserve.

I decided to walk along the base of some bluffs alongside the river. I'd gone this way in the late fall and thought it would be nice to see if any ice was forming along the NW facing bluffs.

Charlie and I saw some Coyote Hunters getting a lecture on something from the game warden otherwise, we saw no one. We turned off the main trail and found our way to the bluffs.

The bluffs sometimes have some incredible ice formations on them and in other spots they have some of the most interesting looking roots and fern growth.

This tree stops me in my tracks every time I walk by it. The twisted roots cling to the bluff and variations of cooler weather ferns hang out with it. Behind it on the rock are various colors of lichen.

To me, it is a wonder.


The edges of some of the bluff tops did have ice forming on them.


This one below is spectacular depending on the year. In past years I've observed these bluffs from the other side of the river. I wanted to see it up close. As melts and freezes continue, it becomes a river of frozen little waterfalls. 




More ice shot with the infrared camera:




When I got past these bluffs, I came to a spot where I'd have to climb rock or go up a valley to head further north. I decided to just end the hike here.
I peered at the huge chunk of rock upstream and noticed it had a gap in it that cannot be seen from the other side of the river.


If I am correct in my thinking, this is the same rock seen from the other in 2017.
And...I think I know how to get to it. Looking at the topo map, it will involve some rather difficult hiking.



That is one of my goals this winter or spring is to check out that 'hole'. It may not be possible, but how will I know unless I try?

The view from bridge 16 with my infrared camera. I was shooting for the black and white effect and was pleased.


I'll be returning to this bridge in the next few days to check out some more ice features and study that bluff from the west side of the river.






7 comments:

  1. Your wonder tree is very interesting! It looks like it may have a perfect spot to sit and contemplate in that arched root, and the base looks like dinosaur claws sinking into the earth. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tree is awesome! You have some unique areas in which to hike and a great companion, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great hike! Beautiful series of photos. Those rock formations you discovered are uber cool! Wonder if the water is deep enough for kayaking around the boulders, in warmer weather.

    There is a lot going on with those tree roots. It always amazes me trees can thrive when they are so exposed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is, one can kayak from Ontario to LaFarge and beyond which is a pretty fair distance. There used to be a canoe accessible camping spot very near this bridge but with so many flash floods over the past 10 years, they removed it.

      The depth of the water there is about 10 ft deep!

      Delete
    2. Kayaking from Ontario to LaFarge sounds like a dream!! Especially since I don't kayak lol. I have however canoed several times, on larger bodies of water. I would think the agility of a kayak would be a better way to enjoy those big 'ol rocks. Such a pretty area to spend time on the water, taking in the sights & sounds! Looking forward to reading/seeing what you find on your next adventure there.

      Delete
    3. Not a problem when you rent a kayak or canoe and ask the guys who drive the bus to pick you up at a certain bridge. Most of the rentals go from Bridge 1 to Bridge 10 or 12. This formation is past 15, but still doable in a rental.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.