Thursday, January 12, 2023

The Eye Surgeon visit

On Tuesday I took my hubby in to see the regular eye doctor. The tech and everyone took their time with him and were so laid back and chilled out. My hubby actually enjoyed meeting the doctor I use.

Wednesday was my appointment to meet the eye cataract surgeon and see if I qualify for the upscale lens replacement.

I checked in and immediately noticed a different atmosphere in the waiting room. I figured out pretty quickly that it was 'Meet the Surgeon Day' for eye surgeries.

I was about the only person there that didn't use a cane or have white hair. The hustle and bustle seemed much more intense than it was the day before.

Olive drove me there and dropped me off so she could go to the Wonderstate Coffee shop and do her remote work and enjoy a nice break from her basement office. Talk about things working out!

One lady called my name and took me to a room where she started to 'measure' my eyes. She explained a few things to me and seemed to push the regular surgery. I inquired about a special lens option, she noted that and whisked me to another room. 

I met a young man who was the Tech for the Surgeon. He tested my vision and went through my medical chart and then put some nasty stinging dilation drops in my eyes. He was nice and worked swiftly.

In about 10 minutes another young man walked in. He introduced himself as Steve and began to ask more questions. 

He...was the Surgeon. He went through my chart and asked about my 'good' eye and what I was hoping to get out of the cataract surgery. I responded by asking him if inter ocular lenses would improve my vision and possibly get me out of glasses. 

I'll stop here and explain that I was born with an eye issue. My right eye was nearly turned in all of the way. I had Strabismus surgery when I was in second grade. That made my eyes look fairly normal and I didn't get teased for having crooked eyes.

Having my eye turned in caused a condition called Amblyopia. For all the years I had a crooked eye, my brain stopped developing good vision in that eye.  I wore an eye patch on my glasses and did eye exercises -- PT for the eyes.

Dr. Steve explained that he could place an IOL [inter ocular lens] in the 'Good' eye and that would give me incredible distance vision, and I'd probably need just dime store cheaters for close up work.

I was all for that. 

There was a whirlwind of things after that and I was whisked to the surgical scheduler. She gave me 3 dates to go to LaCrosse. Crap. I'd need a driver fro the surgeries. The first date was to measure my left eye for a new lens to improve my vision. The next two were dates for the surgery.

I hadn't planned on going to LaCrosse at all. But with the 'new' high tech surgery, it had to be done at the larger facility. I almost said forget it...

I texted Olive with the surgical dates and asked her IF she'd be interested. I'd have to be in LaCrosse between 6-8AM on those days. Mind you, she has a toddler and she works remotely. Hubby is a stay at home dad and works part time.

As the scheduler and I looked at dates, the text back was: Absolutely! I can do that!

Wham bam, thank you ma'am. I was handed instructions and off I went.

Now. Here is my comparison for the two visits.

With the regular eye doctor: Calm, easy going, extra caring.

A pre surgical visit: Whirlwind. Almost like a production line in a factory.

Olive had picked me up a frothy Moca something or another coffee and I tried to explain what I was going to go through.

When I got home, I signed into MyChart and looked up the notes and details from the visit. I was able to re-read what the surgeon had said and it all made perfect sense. Being able to read the doctor's notes I think, is one of the best things ever invented.

I have what is considered Monocular Vision because of my issue as a kid. 

Of course, with one eye that the brain likes to ignore, making a miracle.... isn't feasible. 
I keep forgetting that I see the world in a different manner than those with two working eyes.

From early childhood on, I've learned to judge distances without depth perception. To me, the world is flat when I look out at it. 

I've gone nearly 67 years seeing the world this way and have gotten along fine. 

I'll be thrilled to see clearly again in any case. 










17 comments:

  1. That was my experience too, that the practice where the surgeons worked was like a production line! But the results were good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be like a production line. The surgery takes minutes. It takes longer to get undressed or come out of la la land than it takes for the surgery!

      Delete
    2. Not my experience! Mine were apparently a difficult implant. One took an hour, one half an hour. They usually count on twenty minutes for scheduling them. But it was definitely worth it.

      Delete
    3. Well, we shall see. I hope it is a quick one. Since they are implant only one eye, the second round should be easy peasy.

      Delete
  2. It all worked out! Can you put drops in your own eyes? I hope so as afterwards you need drops many times a day. You will be able to see better again...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The doctors actually add antibiotics into the eye at the time of surgery.
      But yes, I can do my own eye drops, I had to use medicated eye drops as a little kid pre surgery and after surgery.
      I also use them when my eyes are tired which is more often now that my vision is diminished.

      Delete
  3. Kids can be mean. I started wearing glasses very young and was perpetually teased. This will be exciting for you when it's all done! Gotta love Olive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they can be mean, but I was one of those kids that fought back. My mom was warned a few times about me fighting back. Rules were different then.

      Delete
  4. That's very interesting! My daughter was born with a lazy eye and had to wear a patch on her good eye to strengthen her lazy eye. And had coke bottle glasses too. She was a trooper through all that. I don't know if she had monocular vision as in her brain not recognizing, I would have to ask her about that.
    Hope all goes well! And Olive is truly a good neighbour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My eye was pretty severe and I had to wear a patch on my glasses and then without glasses for years. I didn't know that I had that kind of vision until I was in my 30's and saw another eye doctor who said he couldn't improve on the surgery done in 1962. Imagine that! I was 7 when I had the surgery that helped me, then 60 years later, I'm having eye surgery again!

      Hmmm.

      Delete
  5. The modern technology is so advanced compared to the old days. A close friend of mine just showed up one day without glasses and he went in and had things corrected within a series of days. I am glad they seemed people friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone needs help once in a while. So glad you have a dependable friend nearby. Just think, after your eye surgeries driving will be less daunting and all the wonder at KVR is going to look even better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding! Each drive right now is some sort of torture.

      Delete
  7. I have no depth perception either and my eyes work but not together and I also have cataracts developing. I am interested to see how your surgery and recovery go. I put the bananas in a paper bag and they are ripening slowly,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My eyes work, but not together either. The right eye sees poorly, but I can see out of it.
      The surgery won't change any of my perception, but it should allow me to see more clearly with my good eye! I will keep you informed!
      Thanks for stopping in.

      Delete
  8. This surgery was topic A at a recent lunch with former co-workers. Everyone has either had cataract surgery, is going to have cataract surgery or is waiting for eyes to get bad enough for cataract surgery. I really want the lens too even though I know my insurance doesn't cover them. I hope I am eligible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most insurance doesn't cover the special lenses, and the top notch lenses are very hard to qualify for. However, that said, I weighed the cost vs. eye glasses each year which is always out of pocket and perhaps the cost equalizes or is less so with the first tier of the ocular lens.

      If I could have afforded surgery long before this, I would have done it. My driving is severely limited.
      This is a good conversation to have to see how others are dealing with it!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.