Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Taking care of the neighbor's pets.

 This is Cat. I don't know Cat's name but he/she was not pleased to see me on Sunday night. Cat just hissed at me. 
But apparently I was in better graces with Cat this evening...when Cat figured out that I provided the food.

I've never seen a reddish brown cat with black highlights. It is the most beautiful cat I've ever seen.


15 seconds. I really just wanted the first 5 second of hissing. 




This is Tiyo. He came home with my neighbors from Africa. I guess they adopted him while they were in Africa with the Peace Corps.


He is the most interesting dog I've ever met.
He is aloof and not aloof at the same time. He likes to be petted, but seems very cautious about it. I had to put eye drops in his eyes and he was a champ about it.
When I took him for a walk Sunday night, he tip toed through the snow as if it were almost distasteful for him to walk in.
Everything he does seems methodical.

I think I'm in love with him!


Rupert is their other dog. A larger mixed black dog with lots of hair that reminds me of a setter. His attitude is LOVE ME! He shouts without words and seems to be the epitome of joy. He prances around in the snow and dashes about willy nilly. 
Yeah, I love Rupert too. He apparently loves Everyone even Hissy the Cat.


I had to give Rupert his Lyme Disease medications. I opened his mouth and stuck the pills on the back of his tongue. He swallowed the pills and still was pleased with me being there.



These dogs were so well behaved! They came when I called them. I carried a leash with me the other times I took them out, but they stayed close and didn't wander off. Off course it was pouring rain and nasty out so we didn't spend much time outside.

Tiyo was not impressed by the icy driveway and tried to avoid it while Rupert ran across and slid like a cartoon character.

The dogs let me give them their meds without any fuss what so ever. Just call me floored at how good these two were. 

Meanwhile....the ice Monday morning was terrible. Olive texted me to tell me how bad the gravel roads were. Rain on cold frozen gravel roads = instant ice.



The driveway from the bottom of the hill:


The hill doesn't look steep from here. I set my little camera on the ice and shot this. YakTraks were the theme for the day. My camera slid down the incline. Good thing it is a waterproof pocket camera.

The temperatures rose all day long up to 40 degrees with heavy rain. I spread grit, sand, and hay chaff on the driveway Saturday and Justin had township sand/salt mix that he spread on the hill also.

By chore time the salt and grit with the warm rain had done a pretty good job on the hill. 

By evening, our area was socked in by thick fog and 39 degrees. Plus more heavy rain. The township finally came through and dumped a lot of gravel our little backroad. Sure, I could get out by late afternoon, but who wants to drive when you can't see more than 50 feet?




I need to get out on Tuesday and get milk, groceries, take the other half to his doctor appointment. Wednesday we are to get 4 to 8 inches of snow. Hmmm.

I like snow, especially if I don't have to drive about in it!

I hope I get to look after Tiyo, Rupert, and Hissy Cat again in the future. I enjoyed time with them and they loved the attention.




10 comments:

  1. Hissy's hiss wasn't very serious! Hissy is beautiful. Animals know people who like them. I'm sure you being you helped in their behavior. We had rain yesterday and snow overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, totally impressed the dogs were okay with letting you give them oral medication. I've never seen a cat that looks like that either. He must be one of the more unique breeds, or at least partially. I wonder what the cat's name is? I am sure it's not Hissy lol.

    Our Tinkerbell hiss's at us upon occasion and daily at Leo. Just a form of cat communication.

    Thanks for helping your four pawed neighbors out! It is hard to find trustworthy caretakers, especially when animals have special needs. No doubt you will be asked to care for their beloved pets again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what the cat's name is but it sure is a beauty. I think by day two Cat thought I was ok, but needed to be reminded who was boss.
      I'll have to ask what kind of cat it is.
      I've cared for the pets in that house for 3 different owners and babysat for 3 sets of kids too.
      Tomorrow I have a play date with Aiden.
      I'm getting the blocks out and the plastic dinosaurs so we can build things.
      I asked his mom if we could get acquainted more so if she needed me on the fly, Aiden would be comfortable with me.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous5:23 PM

    Your neighbors are fortunate to have such a caring animal person looking out for their animals. They sure were cooperative and three cuties. Aiden is going to have a blast with you!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. That kitty was irritated with you! Sounds like some nice animals to take care off...well minus the hissing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that cat may have been afraid but also realized that I was its food source!

      Delete
  5. I swear the best part of retirement is looking outside, seeing my car covered in snow and making a second cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding! Another part is being able to help out neighbors all the time!

      Delete
  6. What a unique Cat! Some type of exotic breed, possibly Abbysinian or Burmese.
    Good critter-sitters are hard to come by- your neighbours are blessed to have you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that this cat was a very pricey cat that someone had and then couldn't keep, my new neighbors were able to give it a home. Yes, she said it was a very pricey cat for the original owner!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.