Wednesday, January 04, 2023

New Year Word

I've seen people using a word for their New Year. I had to look up what that was all about. 

Instead of a rigid resolution -- pick a word to focus on, a word to guide you through the year with focus and intent. A word that helps you make decisions. 

Our gym always ask its members for a Goal for the year too.
Some folks answer with goals such as: I will make classes 5 days a week!

Meh. I know better. If I can get in twice a week, I'm doing good. 

I'm going to get in shape! Meh. I tried that as a teen and got seriously distracted.
I'm going to lose weight! Meh. We all know how those goals go.
I'm going to ... well you fill it in. 

I skip resolutions and I skip Big Goals. I tend to think day by day.

Some sites call it a Nudge Word others call it a Motivational Word

So to choose a word: 

1. List things you want to focus on.
2. Determine common themes on your list
3. List some words that might work
4. Decide which words are most motivational [or Nudgie?]

I looked up some motivational nudge words.
Dream, Courage, Harmony, Inspire, Compassion, Growth, .... 👎

Last year I did set a goal when they asked me at the gym. I did say that I wanted to complete the Kickapoo Valley Trail Challenge which meant hiking over 59 miles of their trails. I did achieve that goal. I will make a plug for the gym folks, IF I didn't come and do Mobility and Strengthening exercises, I wouldn't have felt as good as I did to complete those trails. 

So where does this rambling bunch of words lead me to?

What are my interests? What keeps me sane?

What are my key words?
Explore.
Discover.
Curiosity.
Imagine.

Certainly not the words that I looked up [and there were a lot of them!]:

Truth, Determination, Challenge, Perseverance, Mindful, ....
They are great words, but they don't fit me well.

I think I'll choose...

Explore

It fits.

So many trails out there, so many things to see, so many things to Explore.
The challenge is to work it all in with life as a 24/7 Caregiver.




10 comments:

  1. Well... our key words are intended to challenge us, so yours definitely fits. And we enjoy your exploration journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're exploring every day one way or another. Good idea to highlight it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! When I saw your list, I thought Explore is just perfect! Thank you for taking us with you on your explorations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great word! I love exploring! And there are so many places in Wisconsin I have yet to see. ( Maybe I will swing by the Kickapoo someday.) I recently discovered the Bong Nature preserve. I can't wait to search it for Mushrooms!. Explore away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love Bong, it is a great place to go. I used to x-country ski, hike, and ride horse there! Oh and I think you can fish too!

      Delete
  5. I think you will Discover and Imagine things that will fuel your Curiosity, while you Explore!!

    You have a lot of Determination and Perseverance. You thrive on Challenge, all while being Mindful. That is the Truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I didn't think anyone could string all those words together like that! You are a word-smith!

      Delete
  6. That is a wonderful word for you! I saw that you might be getting part of that storm, hope you don't get feet of snow:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got two days of sleet, ice, and rain, and now some snow. But the weekend looks sunny and nice... in the 20's and no storms!

      Delete
  7. You are adventuresome. Explore is the word for you.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.