Wednesday, January 25, 2023

The Lost Valley

This valley has several names but the absentee owner likes to refer to it as the Lost Valley. In a way it is. The Valley is cannot be accessed by any road. The only way to get there is by foot or 4 wheeler. A snowmobile trail does run through the area above the valley. There is an old logging road that can be walked down.

In 2005 the cattle that grazed the woods and grasslands were shipped off and the land was basically abandoned to the wild. Over the years the owners have leased out to the land to a few people for hunting purposes. One year a fellow planted 1/2 million dollars worth of marijuana in different areas. Other folks decided that since no one oversaw the land, they'd make trails with their 4 wheelers.

The whole land encompasses two valleys with two streams that flow into what is locally called the Black Bottom. That flows into the Kickapoo River. In those times of flooding, the narrow valleys become rather dangerous.

All that aside, I've hiked the 600+ acres of woods since 1996. Someone once quipped that I must know every tree by now. I almost do.

I have permission from the estate to wander at will on their land. I'm afraid that I know their land more intimately than they do. But that is the wonder of it all.

To get to the Back Valley/Lost Valley/Forgotten Valley -- all names for it -- requires a 1 mile walk through some steep terrain.

Here is a shot looking back towards where I came from on the day I snowshoed this trek. Up until a few years ago, where I am standing was grassland. The estate decided to rent it out as cropland. I have yet to see a good crop come off this land so I can't see how the renter is making any money.


However, the deer love the left over corn. This spring it should be rotated to soy beans. Whoever rented it the last two years put field corn in. The land won't yield much if they farm like that.

In many places the briars, noxious weeds, and thick underbrush has taken over. By midsummer, the land is difficult to walk through. I enjoy winter and spring walks here. 

Here is a nearly 3 minute video of how the riding was in 2010. It is longish, but sort of interesting to see how calm Badger was and how he dealt with obstacles. We did ride to the Back Valley and explore this 3 mile trek that I now take often on foot. I can still ride this with Siera and Sundance, but I rarely do so any more. I stay closer to home now. 

The video is pretty crappy, but in 2010 I only had my little Pink Fugly camera and it did do video. The dog is Morris, my Jack Russel that never missed a ride. When he tired, he jumped on Badger's legs and we'd heft him to ride in the saddle with me.


The valley has changed so much now. But it is still interesting to walk through. I made the trip this weekend back to see the stream and the ice cave.

I probably won't go back until spring arrives because snowshoeing and crossing the stream is just too difficult. I did find evidence of beavers, coyotes, and a lot of deer.

Here is the 30 second video of this snowshoe hike.


That's it. Enjoy getting lost.

13 comments:

  1. Your knowledge of crop rotation, casually mentioned, reminds me that before houses were built around where I live, the rotation was corn, barley, soy, and it seemed to work fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of the larger farms this year planted field corn for the second year in a row. There was a lot of talk about making good money this year because of the war in Ukraine.
      Those smaller farms went with rotation.
      That land has always been poor land so I am surprised that it continues to be rented.

      Delete
  2. That is a fine mule. It continually amazes that it seems so wild where you live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That was Badger who I got when he was 3 yrs old and green. He and I really got along. He was very protective of me and Morris. I have his half sister Sunshine and she is every ounce as calm as him.
      He also knew all the trails we were riding since we rode at least 4 times a in those places for many years.

      We definitely have wild around here.

      Delete
  3. Loved the mule ride video. I love riding in country like that- bushwhacking, I call it. Gussie was very good at it. You are blessed to have wild country so close to home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, here we call it 'brushbusting'. But it is the same idea, you get to go where you want or can get to.
      I am very blessed to be here.

      Delete
  4. Fun to see the mule ride and Morris leading the hike! Good memories for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great memories. I miss Morris a lot as he used to ride with me in the saddle and the mules always seemed calmer with him around.

      Delete
  5. Nice to have video of your ride! I always wanted to get a GoPro for on the trail riding horses & sleds. So many beautiful sights and experiences. We bushwacked at times with our Appy's up north in the Nicolet, but stick to trails around here.

    Morris sure was a happy trail dog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried a version of Go Pro and basically our rides were pretty but boring. Of course it would be exciting if things happened. I did take a video of Rich riding Fred backwards, now that was funny.
      Morris loved trail riding.

      Delete
  6. I have heard of farms that end up land locked. We have cemeteries, old ones, positioned out in a farmers field and people have to take a grass path or a dirt road to get to it. It is amazing that there is so much land out there in the middle of it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the middle of this land is the ruins of an old building that was a speak easy during prohibition. People had to walk nearly a mile to get to it. No roads!
      The land has a lot of history.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.