Monday, November 28, 2022

The Chair and Creative Play

When I get into the Christmas/Holidays Funk, I read what I wrote last year which was a Satirical Holiday get together for a family much like mine called Unrealistic Expectations totally made up!

I can't help but chuckle when I read it. 

In 2013 I used an old chair combined with a partial Christmas Tree in order to decorate our tiny cottage. This was before the remodel in 2016. The first time I took photos of it was in 2014 when I did it a second time. 

Even a small fake tree just took up too much room in our home. I improvised and found that it was much more fun doing something out of the norm.

This year I am changing things up a bit again. I have to admit that each year when I decorate an old chair it ends up being quite fun and never the same two times in a row. That is probably a good thing for me. The chair gives me a flat spot to continuously change up what is going on. I can walk by it and take a tiny Santa Claus and have him conversing with a dinosaur or perhaps a unicorn.

That old table that I brought in from the porch turned into a Legoland Table. Why not? Rich and I had so much fun over the past month or so building these 3 D puzzles that I decided to use them much like others would use a collection of Christmas Village houses.

The Wood Cabin build was really tough and very detailed.

The Lego Lady Contractor
shows off the Cabin Kitchen



Some of the build was extremely frustrating as the lights and wires really were difficult to work with. We found that we were missing a few pieces and the quality control was sucky at times. 

However, if I hadn't built previous Lego 'Expert' builds [The Gingerbread House], I would have given up. The roof bows and won't fit tight...but I learned a lesson. Lego Bricks Rule. I will probably dismantle parts and re make the house eventually.

The Sasquatch Family has no issues with it at all. They love it. They celebrated Thanksgiving in it before the roof was attached!

The Happy Sasquatch Family


They were so pleased when they got moved into the Lego Village.

Then the serious stuff started. Ol' Man Rich decided to take his ornament Champion Cruiser and find some Christmas Trees.

[When I told Rich that this Lego Person was him, he actually started to enjoy it. He really digs this car ornament and even pushed it around the kitchen table. He checks on what the Ol' Man Rich is doing each day. He denies enjoying it of course. But the smile on his face tells me otherwise.]


And by golly he did! He talked other friends into hauling them to the village!

Even the strange snowperson and the Polar Bears were pleased....


Having Christmas Trees in the Village would be awesome!


And every one rejoiced. I think the Lego
lady with the hair in a bun
was imbibing a bit too much?


Oh it looks like silly play doesn't it? Wasted time. But think about it. When a person decorates for any Holiday they are using their brain to create something beautiful, right? Create. That is play.

When a person knits or crochets, paints, draws, photographs, or does anything creative...they are playing. It keeps their minds active and engaged.

Play is good for the mind and soul.

Now.

If I can only think of cooking and baking as Creative Play. 

meh....



10 comments:

  1. I wish cooking and baking were creative play also I think they are for some people! Not me! I love your set up and you guys are having awesome fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooking for me is a terrible chore, I wish I could see it as playful fun.

      Delete
  2. Your Christmas buildings are way more adjustable/fun than ceramic houses. Love the mix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are right, I have so many things I can do to 'play' with these!

      Delete
  3. Very creative!
    For me, baking is a creative pastime but over the years I have gotten very bored with preparing meals. Meh. One must eat I suppose. Can't we just live on cake and cookies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living on cake and cookies sounds reasonable to me.

      Delete
  4. This is one of my favorite Christmas Villages!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might become mine too because I will be able to play with it!

      Delete
  5. Your post from last year made me laugh. I also recognized some of the feelings, even if I had never put them into action. Play is necessary. How dull life would be without it. I enjoy cooking and baking, but not always. I do consider blogging a form of play and I enjoy it. I enjoy your fanciful creations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a whole lot of creativity and fun. I enjoy all of your scenes that you make.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.