Monday, November 14, 2022

Her. By Charlie


She says: Want to go for a walk?

I think: IF I go out with you, we can smell squirrels, eat deer poop, and I can ignore you unless you offer tiny dog treats and call me repeatedly.

I'd be an idiot to turn all that down.

She heads out the door and towards the hill. I head the other way and sit down in the driveway. Obviously, she is going the wrong way. 
So I sit. And sit.

And then She calls me and I turn my head to stare up the drive. I will ignore her first few calls and then think a bit about it. 

My collar goes buzzzzzz... buzzzz. Oh crap. She really does want to go the wrong way. Tsk, tsk. 
I guess. 
So I stand up and trot to her with an upward glance. She calls me a Good Dog and reaches wayyy down to run her mittened hand over my head.

Off we go.
Maybe I'll find some really good smells and maybe I can chase a deer. I know She thinks I am a little tiny dog, but I don't see myself that way. I'm a hound. I am a Hunter with a capitol H. I seek voles and mice along with the big game. 
I have Her to protect me from the scary things in the forest.
Like Coyote smell and Bobcat smell.

We got down into the creek and I found a curiosity. A dead raccoon. It looked like it was sound asleep in the creek. I smelled it and just stood and stared at it. 

She told me to "Leave it be" and we went on.  Contrary to popular belief, I don't roll in dead things. I like to find something nasty, sticky, black, and that has an intoxicating odor to roll in. Dead animals are not interesting at all.

Smart pellets like deer poo are delicious. When I was a pup an old hound dog named Dixie taught me how to find them and eat them. She was an excellent mentor. She said they would make me smarter. Dixie said that Morris told her that.

Val however, is okay, but just doesn't have much of a nose to speak of. She is pretty nice to cuddle with and She is in charge of feeding me, but she has no good sense of smell. I guess I'll just have to forgive her for that.
She also has no fear. When I smell coyote tracks and shiver and quiver, She just looks around and shrugs. She also has a pistol thing. It makes Huge Loud Scary Booms. Since I am so frightened of guns, she usually leaves it in the holster thing.

I like leading. The only time I don't is when I hear gunshots or perhaps smell something quite dangerous near by. 

I headed down the creek. She stopped to admire a small pool of trout. 




Then there was something inside a log that captured her attention. 




"Look at this Charlie! Ice!" 




I was busy smelling for wild things. 

Finally She sat on a log and just didn't do anything. I think She was just listening. Maybe She was trying to smell.

Maybe She was thinking. I do that a lot. I think.
Mostly I think about Food.

Finally She stood up and called me.

I was on the other side of the little creek so I sat down and pretended my ears were plugged up. I was in a good place and She could just sit down again and Think.

She buzzed my collar and I came on the run.


I'm pretty good that way. If She buzzes me or rings the collar I do come quickly.
Otherwise?

I ignore her.

She and I walked along another deer trail and headed back towards the house. We went slow. Well, She went slow like She was looking for something.
Maybe if She had a better nose She would know what She was looking for.

But She seems to drift here and there through the forest just soaking things up. And often She sticks that camera in her face.

She is...


a bit Odd.

I have to admit, She isn't all that bad for being a two-legged creature. But She is what I've got so I guess I will make do.

At least She makes me a nice place on the couch with blankets to rest. For that? I like Her.







9 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:44 PM

    Sweet Charlie! Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie looks like he owns the creek. Total "hero" pose...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are one lucky little dog Charlie! Keep on taking good care of Val! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:15 PM

    You understand each other's souls! This was so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A well deserved rest on a pile of blankets is in order after that adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, this is adorable! Such a sweet fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. LOL, not today so much. I got him a blaze orange Ruffwear jacket that is like my safety vest with reflective tape on it. He is rather put out. However I will be able to spot his little body so much easier in the cooler weather. He is wearing it in the house before we go play in the snow.

      :)

      Delete
  8. Hey Charlie, you do a good blog post! And I love the photo of your epic jump across the creek :o)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.