Friday, November 04, 2022

Thoughts while hiking

As I hiked the various trails on Wednesday ... and while getting a thoroughly soaked Butt, I kept thinking about the past year.

Last September my doctor had told me that I had Severe Osteoporosis. She cautioned me against going anywhere by myself [in case I fell and broke apart, I guess]. She cautioned me against riding. Again, I could easily fall apart, right?

Last Fall was spent mulling over being thought of as Fragile. Caution, Do Not Drop, This Side Up... 

Suddenly walking in the woods was dangerous and scary. I wanted to tip toe. I was waiting for the bones to just start falling out of my body.

I looked in the mirror ... and thought about bones.... bones...


Was I doomed? What next? Were my fingers going to fall off? 
I had nightmares about having to sweep up bones that fell off me. I'd wake up while the Dream Me was trying to put my bones back in place. What was the best glue to put bones back?

I was assigned some medications. One for depression and one for bones. 

The first bone meds caused severe pain after two months of taking them. My fingers normally hurt as they have arthritis. But not even being able to hold a book to read was the last straw.

The second kind of meds caused me not to be able to even walk without pain.

The doctors kept offering medications and I needed to feel better. 

I hadn't been going to the gym for several reasons. One close contact with colds -- to protect Rich -- and two? I was sure that my bones would just collapse if I went.

I arranged to do mobility classes and then some 'bone strengthening' classes. What was the worse thing that could happen? The coaches would have to pick up my bones if they fell out at the gym, right?

Anyway, here I was hiking at the speed of Light, just crushing it as they say at the gym. I was reaching a goal that I'd set for myself last January and I was doing it for Me. Just Me. I was proving to myself that I am not Fragile or made of Glass.

In fact, I felt so great that I even trotted or jogged parts of the trail. I don't know, it just happened. I felt great.

I felt like I was smashing World Records [Oh Val--don't be an idiot--you were just having fun!]

I felt pure joy and happiness.

In one year I'd gone from feeling hopeless to feeling I could conquer the world. Mother Nature played a big role in that as well as the support I've had from my friends, family, and my coaches.

I don't know if I have reversed any of the damage or if that is even possible. I do know that I feel good and I am enjoying hikes again. Mentally and physically I feel so much better than I did a year ago.

In my book, that is a plus.

Oh yes. I've been riding my mules... a lot. And guess what? My bones have not fallen out of me yet!

8 comments:

  1. I have no faith in doctors these days. Good on you for following your own program. Pharmaceuticals are not meant to keep people healthy. If they were, big Pharma wouldn't make any money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do sometimes wonder. It takes me just an hour to do hubby's meds for a week.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous6:07 PM

    This is all such good news. No one knows your body like you do. Guess you proved those doctors wrong and I'm quite positive that you will be doing more of the same!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are still in one piece...but be careful and no jumping from heights! !

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a joyful post! Thank you. When I received my bone news a year ago, I walked away from the doctor and did nothing he recommended including the medication. I think maybe we know ourselves better than they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope that next year's scan shows improvement and that what I am doing is a positive things.
      However, in the very end of all things...my bones will 'get' me into some sort of trouble I imagine.
      Right now, feeling great is worth it.

      Delete
  5. I know some women in your same situation. Hydrotherapy and things like Tai-Chi might be good options. Too bad we couldn't start out with health problems and get healthier as we got older. Sort of like Benjamin Button. As long as you are still standing there is plenty in life to still enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing all the right things. At the end of the day, how you navigate your health is your decision. Especially because we are not promised tomorrow. I have not known you for long, but you are definitely a happier Val.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.