Friday, November 11, 2022

Eagle Watching

I did all of my errands Thursday morning that included picking up groceries, Charlie Food, and visiting the meat locker.

Phew. My purchases were expensive. It was a $200 day.  I noted that most gas stations were again in the process of changing their prices. This week it has floated up .10 a gallon and dropped .10 a gallon. 

It rained hard off and on all day with thunderstorms in the early morning and then again midday. The temperatures spiked with humid, muggy, and warm conditions at 68 degrees just before dark. 

I was worried about the sudden drop of temperatures to 28 overnight and how it would effect Mica our elderly grey mule who is prone to colic when there are wild temperature swings. 

However this morning, all of the equine kids are running, bucking, and farting. Fred, the eldest is pretty stoic. He is giving evil ears to anyone who bumps into him.

This is their typical winter morning routine anyway. Run, buck, and chase each other at dawn. 

All is good with the equine. The youngest mule is out chasing crows in the winter pasture. I wish I had that kind of energy at 6am!

Yesterday afternoon we had a visitor. We often get eagles flying or roosting in trees not too far way but this one was not far out the back door. The eagle carefully preened itself just before the storms hit. 

I grabbed my camera and stepped out into the yard and tried to take photos of it. It was hard to figure out what settings to use. The eagle appeared as a dark blob against a very bright grey sky.


Thankfully I have learned a few tricks over the years. I shoot RAW with my Oly -- [now called OM] -- and sometimes it can help save some of the information that the camera sees. In this case, I brightened the exposure and the shadows. 
The eagle at this point was just hanging out and preening.

Eventually the other birds noticed the eagle and a few Blue Jays decided to harass him. He was rather non-pulsed over it. I didn't catch it, but the eagle snapped at the Blue Jay when he got too close.


The Jay eventually sat in another tree and called out the eagle's presence to everyone else.

I had to move inside and shoot through the glass door when the rains came down hard.

Here, the eagle just looks ticked off at the pounding rain. When it let up, he/she just shook.


Soon the crows started to annoy the eagle. I've seen crows actually chase eagles before so I was really curious as to what would happen.




The eagle literally ignored them and they didn't actually dive bomb him at all. I figured the eagle would take off and fly away.

After hanging out for three hours, the eagle spread its wings and...




took off.

I'd waited for hours for this opportunity to 'shoot' him/her taking off. He landed in another tree close by and I was able to move to the porch and take one last shot as he left the second tree.



I was so tickled to have been able to watch this eagle from the comfort of my back door. And to observe him for hours. 

It was the highlight of the day. 


6 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a long time! We have eagles but I rarely see them perched. We have retail hawks and they and the crows do not get along. Our mild weather is gone, we are a high of about 30 today and it's going be like that or lower now. At least that's what the weather app says! You got some fantastic photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful experience. It was trying to give so many poses. The bird looked like it was tired and just needed to rest. And yet would he have wanted to eat the jay or anything in your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great eagle photos!! Eagles always look so pissed off. Very cool catching them with the other birds, and from home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that final shot! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have patience! Nice shots. The Crows are wonderful at pestering the Eagles...at the Lake they make a real fuss...I think the Eagle got some baby loons again this year...they really make a ruckus then....crows cawing, loons crying...oh my. I am not impressed with Eagles:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Eagles are raptors and search for prey. I can see where that is upsetting! I enjoy learning by watching though and this was a great experience.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.