Thursday, November 17, 2022

Snow Words

How is the snow?

Sposhy? 

Or did you just get a skift of snow?

Sposhy is defined by being sloshy and splashy. Skift is just a tiny bit of snow, a light dusting.


I like Sposhy. We get that a lot in the spring. I like Snud too as a descriptive term. Snud is one we made up when I lived in the flat lands. Snow would drift across the flat croplands and then the winds would blow hard and the top soil would turn the snow black and brown. Snow - Mud. 

Snirt, may have been a better descriptive. Snow-Dirt.

No matter. We have had three days of snow and overcast skies. Yesterday, the snow on the grass melted by the time I did evening chores. 

The NOAA now has added Snow Squall to their terminology and warnings. A Snow Squall is an extremely intense and heavy snow fall [event] that lasts 30-60 minutes. I recall getting several alerts on that last winter. It was a term we used often as a general description, but when the weather service issued it the first time, so many people were confused.

When I lived near Kenosha and Racine, we often got Lake Effect snow. Thunder Snow was not something I experienced until I lived here in the boonies. Thunder Snow is truly spectacular if you've never experienced it. Thunder, lightening, and heavy snow all at once!

My husband often says that Snow is a 4 letter word. Yep, he is meaning it is a cuss word.

Though, I don't think I would want to live in an area where we never had snow. I like the changes of the seasons and the fun terms we have for the weather we get.

Quite a few years ago, I was out riding my mule, Badger, and I had to seek shelter from a sudden thunder, lightening, and heavy rain fall. The neighbor waved me into her large shed where she'd pulled her hay wagon in.

She informed me that we'd just had a Chicken Squall. When I looked confused she informed me that a Chicken Squall was a quick heavy downpour with sometimes lightening and thunder. It usually was enough of a rain to make Chicken mad and run for cover. Thus, the name Chicken Squall.

We are on our third day of dreary skies and snowfall though it hasn't amounted to a lot as the ground is still warm in places.

Thankfully, I got a verbal agreement for a fellow neighbor who plows to do our driveway this winter as our hill drive is rather intimidating during a heavy snow fall.

Last year's photo during a heavy snowfall:



Enjoy the weather if you can. 

One of the things I've learned is that if you have nothing else to talk about...weather is always a sure bet.


13 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I am jealous of my neighbor who is headed to his winter home in Arizona. I am tired of the cold and the white does bother me more than it use to. Shoveled snow this morning a little and got tired too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cold air along with the shoveling is pretty taxing. :(

      Delete
  2. I think I have heard thunder once during a snow storm, but no lightning that I could see. We have a foot of snow and cold that thinks it's here for the duration.
    We get snirt in Alberta, especially in the southern half of the Province where the winds are so strong they blow semi trailers off the highway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes on those winds. In the flat open areas in Iowa they close the interstate due to high winds. I recall seeing semis on their sides in the ditches more than once on I 80.

      Delete
  3. We have about 5" of snow. It's cold and overcast. Again. I don't mind winter, for the most part. I lived in San Diego as a kid and Atlanta in the 80s. Atlanta had about a month of some kind of wintery weather. Mostly ice. That is miserable. The weather is a topic of conversation no matter were you live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know some folks in Atlanta and they really don't know how to handle ice and it can get very bad. Southern areas usually don't have good snow/ice removal.

      Delete
  4. I shoveled again this morning and I will have to do it again later as it is blowing and snowing. We get lots of Snirt in the Spring...although it could be called smud sometimes. I like the work Chicken Squall...how about snonado...those whirl winds of snow...we have one spot just on the edge of torn that is prone to snonados and dirtnados in the summer. I guess I would miss snow...and it is ok...but we will have snow now until May:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoado! We've called those whirling dervishes the same thing. We don't get much snirt here as most of the farmers in this area use winter cover crops to keep the dirt in place.
      It is snow season. But it will be bitterly cold Fri and Sat night.

      Delete
  5. East of us they have 2 feet of snow. We got a dusting that melted in a minute. As a little old lady, I don't mind the snow. Too much? I just stay home. And appreciate that I don't have to shovel a path to warm a car, scrape a car, brush snow off a car, drive a car two towns away and watch snow accumulate on my car outside my office window. Glad you have someone to do the drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have to drive 30 miles through wicked hills and twisted roads at all hours to go to work. I am finally breathing a sigh of relief. Some of those nights were white knuckle drives, but at least it was country roads.
      The bad part was coming to drifts across the road!
      I don't miss that at all!

      Delete
  6. Anonymous5:17 PM

    We had Thunder snow in Iowa a few years back. I blogged about it and found the video from the weather channel guy going crazy after 4 thunder snows in a row. Fun times. https://themidnightcarver.blogspot.com/2020/12/thundersnow-in-iowa.html Am I anonymous again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, yes, but that doesn't matter I see where it came from and thanks!

      Delete
  7. Weather terminology is interesting. Naming everything seems to be trending. We drove through a Snow Squall last year, ironically the day we first heard that word on the news.

    I've been enjoying the beauty of Winter. The record breaking upcoming cold snap we are getting, not so much. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.