Monday, November 07, 2022

Saturday was a Creative Day

Rain, Rain, Rain. Mud. Heavy Rain. Saturday was not a day to be out and about. I'd gotten soaked doing the morning chores.

I resigned myself to getting things done around the house. I cleaned the floors and picked up things I'd just dropped in places. Supper was leftover Chili so I didn't have to work on that.

I finally decided to open up a file and work on my Tree Photobook. 

I popped on a pair of headphones and tuned Pandora into my favorite mix of music to drown out Swamp People, old Football Games, and other noises and 
got
into 
the 
Zone.



When I sat down to write, I had no idea what to do. I'd tried this several times and closed the laptop without inspiration. 

Perhaps the rain and dreary day would inspire me. 


For a bit I stared at the blank page in front of me.

B L A N K

I used the title from Mary Oliver's Poem: When I am Among Trees to jump start my ideas.

Interestingly enough, I did not include any artistic off the wall renderings of the photos I took of the trees. Most were black and white winter photos of the shapes and branches.

I only worked with photos from January through Spring. Most of the photographs I chose were ones I took in the winter months.

Then it hit me.
I was happy in the trees.
The trees fascinated me.

I like to be in the woods alone because no one sees me admire the trees and lean up against them as if they are my best friends. No one sees me put my arms around a sapling and reach up to touch their bark and admire their coat of moss.

Oh and...
Trees don't talk back to you...

While hiking I often stop dead in my tracks to look up and just
look.
I am always fascinated by the shapes made by the tree's growth.
In the summer these shapes are mostly hidden.

In the winter? They are laid bare.

I'd made a colorful and autumn like cover for the book and then decided that it would not work. Many photos of winter trees are stark and all about shape not necessarily color.

I had some color photos, but...
I think for consistency I will make all of the photos black and white? 
Well, perhaps. But there will be a couple that absolutely need to be in color.

I guess, in the end, it doesn't matter too much. I am just doing this for myself.

Sample photos:




The alternate cover?

Something like this:


or.....
this one.
It looks less foreboding and dark. Though I do like the starkness of black and white.




This is what I do for my Fall Fun. I used to write a story each fall when I had Mr. Morris in my life. I wrote for the Grand kids. They loved getting books of Morris's Toy Adventures. It was silly but fun.

It was time to do another Nature themed photo book.

Now to proof read it and edit.
I do use Blurb to do these projects as I've always had a great product from them. 

Now that I have just about finished this. I will complete my Trail Challenge and begin sorting for my next adventure story.

Thanks to Aurora for an incredible photo that I will use 

in..

Trails With Charlie/ A year's worth of Hiking with a tiny dog.

Photo Credit: Aurora Williamson













 

12 comments:

  1. Trees reveal their distinct selves in grayscale. I remember my college photography instructors project/lesson "every good photo should also work in black & white" and I agree with him. Even those photos that look/message better in color. The project was to print an image in both (back in film darkroom days) and note differences.

    Your tree photo cover choices are great! They all "say" different things to me. Glad you like your photo with Charlie. It would also work well in B/W, although I like the pop of red. Such an honor to have it included :) Have fun creating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the trees sure do reveal themselves in the late fall, the winter, and spring.
      I like the red tones in your photo, but I will give it a go in black and white!
      I think the Trail Challenge will be a mix of colors and Infrared so it can be creatively fun.

      Delete
  2. You are definitely a creative lady!
    I had to laugh at this: "I resigned myself to getting things done around the house". Yup know how that feels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Black and white do look sorta scary, and you miss the color. To me the trees provide such color, not just in the fall. One of things I'm always a bit surprised by is after the leaves have fallen you see how many nests were there that you totally didn't see before. I spotted a really large nest the ther day looking out my window at a tree about half done with the leaves dropping. It was a particularly windy day and I noticed the nest. I look at trees so much I'm amazed I didn't see it before, or see the birds or squirrels coming and going from that spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in a way that twisted tree that I picked for a possible cover is in a way scary and neat at the same time. It was one of those trees that produced an amazing shadow on the forest ground.
      In the winter, when I took most of the shots, it is a very black and white world.

      That is probably why I am not including the spring/summer/fall shots. Those are like a forest of beautiful flowers!
      Which gives me a second book to follow this, right?

      Delete
  4. My personal preference is for the black&white cover. You are so very creative. I have some envy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that cover is startling in a way.
      Don't be envious. I am always trying out something. My father was a creative person, so it could be inherited.

      Delete
  5. November is the national novel writers month. I wrote my first "novel" my first attempt. IT is easy when you have a story in mind... but difficult to pull off a second time. The title looks like it would be a great story to get people interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is more for myself as I like to do projects and get a record of my thoughts while undergoing such a project. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Auroras photo is just perfect of you and Charlie. I do like the green photo of the bark and roots of that tree for your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Aurora's photo perfect?

      I am still waffling about the cover. Interesting responses from those who like the stark bold black and white to those who prefer color.

      Love it!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.