Saturday, November 05, 2022

Wild Life

My husband's vision isn't supposed to be THIS good! However, he notices anything out of place anywhere he can see out a window.

"Hey, what is that?" he said to me. 
Earlier this year we had a Turkey Vulture sit on a tree right next to where this hawk is.

I ran over to the Oly camera that had the monster zoom on it and walked out on the porch. This hawk was probably 200-300 yards away. [I cannot tell distance, but hubby can!]
Count me tickled and happy!




I got some lucky shots for sure.



Here is another shot of a doe approaching our fence line from the neighbor's land to the east. That land encompasses over 400 acres of woods where I usually do a lot of my close to home hiking.
Did she see or smell me? I don't think so. She jumped the fence and moseyed on through our summer pasture.



These quiet mornings are pretty nice. AND...
I have to sit still and be quiet. Which is a good thing for me to learn, as I am not very good at it.

Here is a photo of a nice buck we spotted on our Trail Cam:



He is nice enough that hubby wishes he still hunted. For the meat and for the nice rack this guy has. I'm happy enough to catch glimpses of him on the camera.

I'd be tickled pink and all sorts of colors to get him in my viewfinder on the camera.

On our other trail camera we often get a lot of deer taking naps or doing cute things like this:


The spot above seems to be a gathering place for deer to settle in. 

It is pouring cats and dogs outside so it looks like this Saturday will be an indoor day. 

Perhaps I should get out the lego people and some dragons and see what happens in the Still Life Department!


9 comments:

  1. Love the hawk pictures...especially the second one with him/her taking flight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is always an exciting moment in photography, IF you can catch them in action! Thank you for the visit!

      Delete
  2. So beautiful! All we get on our security cameras is skunks walking across our front porch at night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a Red-tailed Hawk. Wow! You really have a nice view of deer in their natural habitat. That buck looks lie a big boy! Sometimes when I encounter a big buck in the woods and he snorts steam out his nose as he stares at me I find it a little bit intimidating! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kicked up some does this morning while out walking and collecting the SD cards. I came upon a large buck once and actually was a bit intimidated too!
      I live surrounded by few homes and many many acres of woods. I am lucky.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous1:25 PM

    Watched a HUGE buck and a couple of does rush out towards the highway on my way home this morning. I honked at them and they turned around. I would hate to think that they were going to cross the highway and get smooshed. Like your hubby, I miss those days of hunting sometimes... But I no longer really care to kill anything. I would rather capture a really great photo, ( like the hawk... very nice!) or just harvest mushrooms. All the hunting and forest therapy with none of the animal harming or messy clean up. I do like venison though... Really miss those wild game dinners of the past....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like hunting with a camera but am not against hunting deer as they are quite overpopulated in our area and cause a lot of harm.
      I used to love hunting with hound dogs at night which I found very challenging against the smart raccoon. Often we never found our quarry.
      I have a hunter who drops by a some rather tasty venison each year. It is a nice gift! So we enjoy venison!
      But now you can fish, right???? :)

      Delete
  5. Nice spotting Rich!! You got some great hawk shots. The Fall tree setting is a nice. I find hawk ID to be difficult. Looks like a big boy. My thought was more along a (juvenile?) Copper's Hawk. Who knows. Not me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some nice looking deer! Great photo of the Hawk!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.