Tuesday, November 01, 2022

Section 37 -- Dutch Hollow

Charlie and I decided to do a short one we'd been putting off because basically it was a trail that runs along the highway. The distance of the trail was .83 miles one way.

What surprised me was how warm it got. 

The trail head is right on the edge of Bridge 10 on Highway 131 and it heads towards Rockton. It is a nice trail that easily takes an equine rider, bicycle rider, or hiker straight into Rockton without much travel on the highway. This very first part is also the same trail one follows to get on the south end of the Hay Valley Trail.


This trail heads up between cropland and is well worn. Rockton Bar attracts riders, bicyclists, hikers, and motorcyclists and is famed for it Chicken Q's.
Rockton also has the most awesome fur store where a person can get fur hats. It's called Wild Things Furs. This is where I got my infamous Skunk Hat. 

[I may be looking for a Beaver or Muskrat hat this year that has a bill on it to shade my eyes from the sun.]


The trail continues through a spot with just a trickle of water. I wonder if this area would have been underwater if the dam had been finished?
I don't know.


Charlie and I made it to the end of Dutch Hollow Trail. Charlie was having trouble as he got really hot so close to the ground on a trail  that basically was a 6 inch deep groove of dirt and sand from years of hooves compressing the soil.

I picked him up and we continued to hike. He wanted down when we got to a shaded area and in no time at all we were back to the parking area.



I stopped and took some photos while standing on Bridge 10. It is a pretty river and looks very quiet. However, it does rage when flooded.


We spent some time down on the canoe landing in the parking area and cooled off in the Kickapoo River.

I think this was the prettiest part of the whole experience. 

Kickapoo Bluffs along the river:



Section 37. 
Done.

On Wednesday it is supposed to be a warm one so Charlie will stay home while I do a long hike. 
I'll be picking up short sections that I haven't been able to get to yet. My best estimate is that I'll be doing approximately 7 miles in order to catch those 3 sections and make it a loop.

Monday afternoon's Map:


My Partner in Crime:




9 comments:

  1. You have the greatest hiking buddy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, he will be mad at me on Wednesday, but that hike will be a long one and the day is supposed to get pretty warm.

      Delete
  2. Well, another trail section done. Check! The Trail Challenge seems to include some odd components. Perhaps the creators will be open to feedback from participants.

    The Kickapoo Bluff water is a pretty turquoise! Have a good hike tmr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sort of has some odd ones, but the trail that is on P from the other day was part of a trail from a ranch that gave rides many years ago.
      This section is to get to Rockton without riding on the road. Many years ago we just rode the roadside and this seems a bit safer.
      I wish the lesser used trails did have some better maintenance however some of those areas are tough to get to and I suppose they are short of help.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7:34 PM

    Charlie is so cute. Love how turquoise the water looks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did I just post another anonymous comment? Why does google/blogger do that? Anyway, I was the one commenting on the water color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why it does that and yes it was a strange color! It was greenish when looking at it on the bridge!

      Delete
  5. Such pretty shots of the river, glad you had a good hike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, the river was the prettiest!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.