Saturday, November 12, 2022

A few thoughts

Our world needs more kindness. Is it a natural trait for humans to be mean and spiteful or hateful and jealous?

Is it a natural trait for humans to ignore the softer side and sometimes be aggressive and cruel?

What has Mother Nature taught us? I see coyotes chase down young deer or perhaps a small dog. We think they are cruel and awful. They are only doing was comes natural for them to survive.

We are supposed to be civilized folk right? We are supposed to be of a higher order. Ahhh, but perhaps we just think we are.

Where am I going with this? 

Saturdays and Wednesdays are what is called Dump Days. We can go to our town hall and deposit our bags of trash and do our recycling. 

Since our new neighbors got rid of that ugly dumpster, I've had to go back to doing the weekly run to the town hall. Actually, I am glad the dumpster is gone. IT was SO unsightly even if it was very handy.

There is a gentleman who now oversees the recycle bins. His name is Stan. I only know this because someone called out his name when I was there. 

I took my time with my bin of recyclables and then needed to purchase some Town Trash bags.

I noticed that many of the other folks that stopped by never bothered to say hello and pretty much just did what city--transplant to country folks would do. Looked down their noses at Stan. He was the Dump Dude and nothing more.

I asked Stan how he was doing. Everyone had left and it was just the two of us on a nice Wednesday morning. 

"Ahhh," he answered quietly, "I'm..." he made a face "I'm okay. You know, I'm here."

I waited because sometimes if you don't interrupt and pay attention, the other person may continue.

"You know," he added, leaning on a dumpster, "my wife passed on in April..." He sighed, then added, "She was sick all winter and when she passed my daughter insisted I come back to the township and do this work again. She knew if I didn't, I'd just be sitting at home staring at the walls. So here I am. I'm not sure..." his voice dropped off and he shrugged.

I saw sadness in him, in how he moved and how he glanced at something above and behind me. I'm sure he was thinking about his wife.

"I'm very glad that you are here, Stan," I said. "I enjoy seeing you each week."

"Well," he answered, "I guess." His hands fluttered a bit and he rearranged some plastic bottles. "Maybe that is a good thing." He stopped and then leaned up against the bin.

"You see, I'm going to be 74 pretty soon, and I am retired. I took care of my wife while she was so sick and now?" He shrugged again. 

I waited.

"Some days it is hard to get up and get going, you know? But this job on Wednesdays and Saturdays is something. Not much. But I get out because I have to."

So even if I don't need to go each week, I go see Stan so he can chat with me. 

Last week Stan saved out a couple of nice little storage crates and asked if I could use them. What a nice gesture and yes, I could use them.

I don't tell Stan that I too am a Caregiver, he doesn't need to know my story or frustrations. He all too well knows how that goes.

What he needs is a kind ear.

And it seems he looks forward to chatting for a bit each week. Some of his days are better than others. I can tell, when he jokes about me driving over with just a little bit of stuff, I smile and tell him that ... hey, I just needed to get out!


Maybe I'm just a softy...my husband says I'm soft in the head.

I think thoughtful kindness goes a long way. You never know what others are going through.


13 comments:

  1. Personally, I think there are people who are innately kind and thoughtful and people who aren't. Some of those who aren't are not mean nor inconsiderate, they just don't think to do what you are doing with Stan. Then there are people who are inconsiderate and mean. I say, be like Val. It hurts no one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. I guess I'd like more people to learn kindness and thoughtfulness. I can't say I've always been thoughtful, but sometimes I surprise myself.
      Stan was there this morning and waved at me even though he was really busy. A nice smile and a wave.

      Delete
  2. I am glad you asked. He probably needed to share and will look forward to you every time. Sometime you could share that you are a caregiver when it feels right. I am sure he needs people who he can identify with and share the survival of it. I talk up my cashiers at the grocery store and I am sure that they thing the crazy old man is here again. I do get smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:46 PM

    This a beautiful. Thank you for writing about Stan. I read some where that people just want to be seen. You saw Stan and it mattered to him.
    Take Care,
    Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes more people should be like Val! How wonderful that you give Stan a chance to talk, he probably was quite isolated while his wife was ill. We both know that it cam be lonely during that time and after...well I don't want to think about that very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everyone needs a chance to get things off their chests. We both know that.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous7:54 PM

    Kindness and a kind word DOES go a long way. Especially when one is feeling down, sad, or lonely. IT can even brighten up if you're having a really bad day. And it costs us nothing. Too bad people are so involved with their own world that they forget that they share it with other people. Other people who will pass them a kind word someday in the future... Thanks to you.... It was nice to meet Stan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not surprised you are the one sharing this account. One nice gesture, just saying hello, has become a friendship and helped someone who is so lonely feel necessary. Thank you Val, for being you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first encountered being nice as a kid, when I saw two non identical twins being picked on by a bully friend of mine in grade school. At the time I hung out with the bully because it gave me a sense of power.

      I got upset that this big girl was picking on these littler girls, so I stopped it right then and there. They were brand new to the area. I just know that I befriended them and kept them safe from the bullies.

      Now 50+ years later? We are still casual friends. Not so with the bully girl. It would have been easier to hang with the bullies.
      Funny how things work out.

      Delete
  7. There are "Be Kind" yard signs all over our small town/area. Businesses have the message on marquees, windows etc. I've noticed "Be Kind" in other areas too. Especially around schools. I won't get into the reason why the yard signs were created, but I do think there is a general awareness that the world needs more kindness. It goes a long way.

    Thanks for being kind to Stan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kindness always repays itself. Thanks!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.