Monday, November 01, 2021

November

November and I have always had an agreement.  I have a hard time enjoying November and she has a hard time pleasing me.

There is that time change and then there is that adjustment to the temperatures becoming cold. I have to hook up the stock tank heater. 

I have to prepare for the dreaded 9 day deer gun season. I don't dislike deer hunters, don't get me wrong. I dislike having to stay in close to the house and dislike the fact that I can't wander about like I normally do.

Those 9 days are spent washing walls, ceilings, collecting cobwebs, organizing the storage down in the little basement and thinking about decorating cheerfully for December.

If we don't get snow, the grass turns brown. The woods turn brown. Everything seems barren. 

I have to try to enjoy November, she and I have to come to agreement. I give her the nod as I put on my insulated coveralls and find reasons to like this part of the year.

Hiking is incredible because I can see through the woods and appreciate the unique land formations. No bugs. No bugs. 

I have to think about Thanksgiving. It used to be a reason for families to get together and enjoy each other's company and conversation.

That changed when my MIL could no longer travel. When I became the soul driver for two folks with severe medical conditions I asked other family members to visit us instead of us making the long day trip.

So now hubby and I have a lasagna dinner on Turkey Day. It passes with just barely a blip. This was how it was pre pandemic. Nothing much has changed.

This November won't be the same. I have decided that I will get along with Miss November... and we will make the most of it.

After all, after November, comes December and we all know what that brings! Short days and colder temperatures. But that is fine. Once the hunters leave the public lands I can go hunt for ice formations. I can proudly wear my Skunk Hat. 

And there ARE no Bugs.

Plus there are those very fond memories of A Hateful Woman or a Stupid Man invented Tree Stands. 

I go back and laugh and laugh at that incident. Hard to believe it was 11 short years ago. I miss those stupid and fun incidents. I really do.

Welcome November!


2 comments:

  1. Funny, on my walk this morning I thought to myself "I wonder why Val doesn't like November?". Our trees are so pretty right now, getting brighter by the day. Especially this year. Nature takes a little longer to come around in sandy loam soil. It is crisp & sunny, without being frigid. I love November!! Although I completely understand the danger of hunters in the woods.

    I read your linked deer stand post, funny title. I know multiple men who have fallen out of tree stands, and ended up in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went back and read about the tree stand.. so true! I dislike November also for the brown on brown. It is challenging to take photos! Nothing seems interesting and that time change does me in for a few days. Dark at 4 PM is so awful....and the sun seems to go away too:( It snowed again this morning so that is twice now:(

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.