Friday, November 19, 2021

November Colors

Let me give a huge round of applause to another blogger and photographer who has encouraged me to see the Beauty of November!

Generally, November has been the boring month, the brown month. The month of adjusting to light/time change and early darkness...as well as temperature changes. I've always turned a bit inward and ignored the overcast skies and the leafless trees. Nothing seemed to appeal to me outside.

But if you look for it, sometimes you can find some amazing things. 

Points down

Tamarack Trees in full color
with afternoon sunlight 
highlighting part of them!



A stump in the woods. 



The moss picked up some yellow highlights of the subdued sunlight that tried so hard to come through the dull grey overcast.

Charlie and I headed down the ridge trail that our neighbor made years ago with his bulldozer. I sat on the trail to look at some lichen on a rock. I turned to look up the trail and squished my eyes half closed. I wanted to see the forest for the colors and not for the trees. 

Muted greens
yellow
reds
burnished oranges
leaf litter
sticks...
and
bark
make me Happy!

Maybe...
just maybe...
I can start to look with different eyes.

Wild
Strawberries 
make me smile!


Barberries
Pointy 
Sharp
Red,
No
smiles.


Pretty reds
and greens
decorating
creek rocks.


Imagination
drifts while
admiring the trout
in the creek.
Abstract reflections
of 
the grasses above
the water.


At the end of the day, I can honestly conclude that I found this particular November day full of vibrant colors.






Maybe I can change my attitude about November and look for its beauty. After all, I find winter to be fascinating and beautiful.


9 comments:

  1. I love your November Rainbow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!! Love all of what you saw & captured so eloquently. The bokeh & contrast of the barberry shot is SO pretty, even if the spiny thorns are not. A good example of look don't touch. I am normally not drawn to abstract photos, but you took a really intriguing one! I keep going back to revisit it.

    I think each month plays a roll in natures cycle and has it's own unique qualities that can be appreciated. If one chooses to.

    November eases us out of Fall and into what is coming. It slowly prepares us for Winter's dormancy. Yes, it has more brown and cloudy days than some other months. It also offers stunning sunrise/sets, sunny pockets of warming light and deeper color shades. When there is less, it feels like so much more. To me.

    I recently read an article where this is a local horsewoman's favorite time of year on her land, for the visibility factor. She called it the "leaf off" season.

    I am biased. It is my birth month and I am surrounded by pines that stay green & oaks that hang onto their rust colored leaves.

    So glad you are seeing and experiencing some of November's good things, between the browns & clouds :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to ride every day in October and November when I had Badger so we could see the rock formations through the trees. The landscape is laid bare so one can see much further!

      I was a bit torn on the abstract one. I just felt liked the variety of browns in the creek under the water and the touch of green on top of the water.

      Constant challenges keep my mind in good places.

      Delete
  3. You found some color! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:26 AM

    Beautiful colors. The last picture makes me want to get out paints and try to replicate it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to LOVE November. Not for the color, but for the Hunting season in Michigan. Pheasant, duck and Deer were the biggies. Small game was the one I liked best, because there was always a reason to get outside and enjoy the weather. ( even the bad weather... ah to be young again.)
    But now... as I age and wimp out, November is simply cold and drab. Accelerated here in Iowa! But the Holidays are close by and that usually makes things a little more festive. Plus, we are usually busy with Stockings. Very pretty skies in the evening... Here and Where you are I see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I was a small game hunter also and enjoyed that. Since I live in a land of steep hills and valleys, I can always escape the harsh winds and still enjoy the forest.

      Delete
  6. The barberry bush has the neat hanging red berries that make it fall for sure. Great colors that you did find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that is an escaped plant that invades our woods, however I sort of enjoy photographing them. My neighbor's land is filled with these and they add a lot of color to the forest.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.