Saturday, November 20, 2021

Gun Season and Christmas Chair

Maybe I won't complain

....about deer hunting this year. Hubby demands that I stay out of the woods for the whole season, but I have ways I can get down into the creek and explore the dry runs. They are deep and they are like being in trenches, except they are full of mossy boulders.

Generally, this is what I call the 9 day Clean Up. I wash ceilings, walls, and take down all knick knacks and sort through the boxes in the basement. I bring out all the heavy winter stuff and hang it on hooks after washing it. I sort through gloves, mittens, and face masks. I find my winter ski goggles and brush up the snowshoes. 

I clean out the little hutch in the living room and rotate out the items on the shelves so I can put in some Holiday decorations. 

This generally only takes me a day or two to do. The benefits of living in a small cottagel

I need to decide how to set up the 'new' Christmas Chair. Am I going to use the Coal Scuttle as my 'tree of bare branches' this year? Or use parts of the old fake Christmas tree?

I don't know, I may just wing it. Clean and organize first and then figure out how to take our tiny living room and perk it up.







My old Christmas Chair's seat has finally split into two. So I went out this summer and found another derelict chair in the shed. It is a Bent Hickory Chair that was going to get a new seat at some point in its prior life. 

It was stored in a wet environment so the bottom of the legs were rotted off.

It seemed Perfect for a new project.
I sawed off the rotten part and then added pads on the bottom so the legs wouldn't scratch the new floor in the living room.

I painted the wooden seat which was supposed to be a cane seat, I guess. However the flat surface will work perfectly.



Below is Charlie showing off the whole living room on the day the ripped out the carpet and put down the new floor.



And here it is with some of the items back in place.


Over the years, I've used the corner where the concentrator now resides. It was perfect and out of the way. The old concentrator was replaced by a Huge one and it has to take up residence in a place I do not want it.

Decisions! Decisions!


What about that old trunk I disparaged over this summer? It is a great spot to fold laundry or add fun little touches in the kitchen area.


Last year's Chair/Tree was by the window. 



Oh...the anticipation!


Time to get to work....

10 comments:

  1. I am in the same place as you are! Not the hunting part, we live just enough into town that we don't have hunters, but close enough I will hear gun shots for the next nine days. Our family collectively has sustained enough car damage and destruction from deer that I personally want to pass an amendment on deer licenses that says no beer purchases without a deer. I mean grabbing a shovel and clearing out space and trying to decide where to put a Christmas tree (which I know will end up in the exact same spot it always does). Before our addition, we did not put the tree up until Christmas Eve or there wasn't enough seating in the living area for the family. The addition helps, but we also doubled the people with the kid's spouses and then threw in an extra 10 grandchildren, one who is 5' 11 1/2" officially at his sports physical. So, same corner it is! But first - the marathon clearing. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My stuff may go in the same place too, but it is fun trying to arrange a tiny room anyway. The fun is in the challenge. I don't always go with a tree but sometimes do rather strange and fun things.

      Delete
  2. Have fun! I like your new found old chair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year's chair/tree is gorgeous, can't wait for this year's interpretation. There is always hanging it from the ceiling or the railing of the stairs.
    I enlarged the picture and that really is a turtle.;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is those choices. I may even go out and find branches I like and make a stick tree to combine with my chair!

      Delete
  4. Last years chair/tree was beautiful, can't wait to see what you come up with this year!! I love old stuff with worn history. Wow, that is an impressive clean up routine. Your place must sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house is tiny so it really only takes a day or most of a day to do the work. I think the newest piece of furniture we have is the old loveseat. It was a hand me down too. I mean to replace it next year!

      I enjoyed yesterday. Creating...and just messing around with ideas.

      Delete
  5. I love your Christmas Chairs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Even hubby was worried I wasn't going to have one. I assured him all was well....

      Delete
  6. Love the Tree. Small spaces are difficult to adorn, but when you get things just right.. it is even harder to part with them. Our small kitchen took three tries to get right.
    As for hunting. I think back on those days and how eager I was to get out in the woods. But now.. A sure sign of old age, I guess. Dad was the same way when he got this old. I never understood it as a teenager, but now I do. Better to be inside, warm and no kill anything. Call me soft. It is probably true!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.