Friday, November 12, 2021

In the mean time

The Brown Season is here. I am not going to complain at all this year. I decided to find some sort of inspiration for when I am un-

inspired.

Part of the issue is that I get stuck in a rut. It is getting cold and sort of dull looking outside. I await the first snow with great anticipation.

Meanwhile I adjust to looking at brown stuff. And that is partly the reason I decided to pursue a few different photographic projects. I know. It seems that is all I do.

Believe me, the mules don't feed themselves or pick out their own hooves. The goat doesn't clean his pen, the pony won't haul buckets of water. And Charlie does not clean up the dog hair and dirt he brings into the house. Hubby would eat instant oatmeal 3 times a day if left to himself and I have yet to figure out how to get the errands to Run To Me, instead of Me Running Errands.

Photography and learning more about nature and Still Life are my mental distractions from being a CareGiver. Usually I can spend about about an hour doing something for myself. I wake up very early to have time before the day arrives to have some quiet writing time. Or time for a cup of coffee and browsing a book on Moss or Lichens. Or another more recent book regarding photography.

I purchased Photography and the Art of Seeing by Freeman Patterson. 



I like some of the photography exercises he suggests that are mental viewing exercises. He reminds us that as children, we think in pictures. I can relate to that. I always preview something that is important to me by trying to imagine how it will go. The steps needed to get there. I think most folks do this anyway. 

One exercise I am looking forward to is walking out to the woods and tossing Charlie's leash in a random spot. The leash is 8 foot long. I will use the leash to make a circle in which I will explore.

Patterson has an exercise with those who take his classes. They toss a hula hoop out and have to photograph what is outside or inside that hula hoop. However, they cannot not move from that circle until the session is done and they have found 30 things to shoot. They don't have to be perfect things, but it is a way to discover that what is around you can be a lesson in learning to 'see'.

The point is to learn to observe. The point is also, that one does not have to travel 100's of miles to search for one good photo.

Some of what he writes about is stuff I just sort of scrunch my face up and say to myself NO WAY! That is stupid! However, being open to new or different ideas is always good.

Five years ago I was challenged in an on line class to do all Black and White photography. When they asked us to do Still Life, I was horrified. But I found I enjoyed it. 

At one point I found that taking photos of two little toys I had paired together reflected my angst and stress at taking care of such an ill and frail person. [This while my husband was struggling with several major health events and depression at the same time]

I was expressing myself through photos. I was expressing care, love, thoughtfulness and not really realizing I was doing so.

Example here:



I wonder if I go out and try the 'hula hoop' exercise or the exercise where he sent his students into a bathroom for an hour!  With the winds, rain, and cold weather I think I will opt for the bathroom.


What on earth can I do there?

~~~~ 

Girry and his adventures are still being worked on. Updates soon.


9 comments:

  1. I am sure you will find something to photograph! It is a whole world of photographs out there. WE are white today! It is better than brown...but not by much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was an indoor exercise that I did and it was a lot of fun.

      Delete
  2. IN my carving days, I would pick up any book or magazine about the topic, hoping it would make me a better carver. Eventually, though, you find this pattern where they all assume you know NOTHING about the subject, and walk you through stuff that you have long since figured out or tossed out because those principles do not apply to your world. I think you are already high on the ladder of photography and writing. That being said, you can always find a grain of knowledge anywhere. Even the most basic of Origami books still have a pattern I use from time to time. Good luck with the book! And perhaps the exercises will be fun...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has some good info on getting into the 'zone' which makes for some interesting reading. Thanks for the compliment BTW. I always strive to learn new things.
      The nice thing about this book is it gives some great suggestions and is not all about photography equipment but more about the mental challenge.

      The first exercise was a riot!

      Delete
  3. Your photos are just lovely. You are very talented. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I enjoyed your Christmas decorations!

      Delete
  4. I think you already do a lot of seeing/seeking type shooting, more than most photographers. It is always good to learn new exercises, for not only the body but the mind. Sounds like a great book. Have fun with your new photography challenges!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, you have seen me peering at things in the woods! I always strive to learn and now I have the time to do that.
      Daydreaming is a blessing and being able to 'see' is another one.
      The book is much like things I've looked at on the internet. But I like having a book to refer back to.

      Delete
    2. Me too. I like hardcopy books. I feel like digital information is hard to keep track of, because there is sooo much of it. Add to that, who knows when stuff will disappear.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.